Wednesday, September 19, 2018

MOTHER'S PECANS!

It's a good thing I love pecans! We had pecan trees in our yard when I was growing up. It was the kids' job to pick them up from under the trees and shell them.

We had a little competition from the squirrels!
Mother would make the best desserts chock-full of pecans - fudge and cookies, pecan pies, German chocolate cake, and fruit cakes.



11 comments :

Susie Swanson said...

I love pecans as well but we never had any trees. They sure do taste good in about any dessert. I remember having walnut trees in the yard and they were so delicious and we always had to crack them and pick them out for Christmas and Thanksgiving cakes. I sure do love your background on your blog. Hope you're enjoying your week.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Such a wonderful memory. I adore your header & beautiful background. I can almost smell cinnnamom spice and pecan pie.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Love pecans!!!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, your pictures are so lovely today, Karen. And that squirrel hehehe. They are surely mischievous. I have been craving pecan pie lately. How wonderful that your Mother made so many Yummy pecan desserts. Sometimes I put pecans in my oatmeal. It was a delight to come over and visit and see all the colors of Fall.

~Sheri

MadSnapper n Beau said...

your childhood is almost a carbon copy of mine. we had 3 pecan trees and I used to feel abused at having to pick them up and sit and shell them. but I did love to eat them and all the things she put them in.. she kept bags of shelled pecans in the freezer so we had them year round. on bumper crop years, she sold bags of shelled pecans, 1.00 per pound and now in the stores they are 7.00 per pound

eileeninmd said...

Hello, wonderful memories of your childhood. I would like to have some pecans trees, yum! Enjoy your day!

Carla from The River said...

My husband LOVES Pecan Pie. :-)

L. D. said...

That would be a great thing to have a pecan tree.

Lowcarb team member said...

Pecans are good!
What lovely memories of your childhood.

All the best Jan

Connie said...

I love pecans! Lucky you to grow up with them around you. We didn't have pecans, but sometimes we would go where hickory nuts grew to gather those from the ground.

a joyful noise said...

Nuts of any kind are very good for your health. (Unless you are allergic such as to peanuts.) we had a beautiful Almond tree, but the squirrels would strip it from the nuts that weren't even ripe. My husband finally cut it down, but the tree was determined to live and began to sprout again. I don't think it ever bare nuts again, but it was pretty.

Blog Archive