Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Making Biscuits


"If I had a nickel for every biscuit I ever made, I would be RICH!" Mother used to say.

She was up every morning by six, and I could hear the rolling pin on the counter as she rolled out the dough and cut out the biscuits. Then she would save the last scraps of dough and let me make it into a ball for Midnight, my black cat.

The kitchen was the happiest, sunniest room in the house, with the morning sun shining through the back door and the double windows over the sink.

I hope that I thanked my Mother for all those good hot breakfasts.

Mother, your biscuits were worth much more than a nickel!

10 comments :

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Wonderful and happy memories of your mother! Enjoy your day!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Love those memories and can almost smell those biscuits baking!

Theresa said...

My Mama always made the best biscuits too:) Memories are precious! I love my biscuits with Karo syrup and she always made sure it was on the table! I miss her every day:( Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

your memory brings back memory of my mother and biscuits. she was a fantastic cook and baker, and gave us a hot breakfast every single day. the one thing she could NOT make was biscuits. Daddy use to joke about saving them for weapons in case he needed a rock... my dad's mother tried to teach her but they were always hard...I just remembered 2 more things, she could not bake bread of any kind but could make cornbread. and I had to make fudge, hers was always eaten with a spoon

Ginny Hartzler said...

It sounds divine, like a wonderful childhood comfort! For me, it was my grandmother's glazed orange rolls and cloverleaf rolls. Your zinnia header is gorgeous! I love the some of the petals are still rolled up, waiting to open.

Doris said...

I'm no good at making biscuits! It's true and I've tried. A good biscuit is worth more than a nickel and would I have loved to taste the ones your experienced mother made!! Hope you are having a great day, Karen!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

That is really special. My mother didn't make biscuits very often...usually for supper rather than breakfast! (she was not a southern cook). However, my hubby said he wanted biscuits for breakfast when we got married, so I had to learn really quick. Thankful for "bisquick" and/or Jiffy baking mix...which I prefer over the canned variety. I just made biscuits for supper tonight . We often have some kind of stew over biscuits, and eat the leftover biscuits with jelly, or save for breakfast and have them with applesauce! Love this post.

Lowcarb team member said...

Jus love the wonderful, happy memories you've shared.
Thank you.

All the best Jan

L. D. said...

I can still see my mom rolling out biscuits on the kitchen table. The flour is flying and the floor always needed to be swept up. I think that would be fun to make some just because.

Connie said...

Great memory. Fresh baked biscuits are so wonderful.

Blog Archive