A sudden storm blew in with a big flash of lightning as the lights went out on our street. The kids came thundering down the stairs into their parents' waiting arms. Soon the storm blew over, and we walked out on the porch to see hundreds of fireflies lighting up the yard. We all had to smile at God's emergency back-up lighting!
The Psalmist may have written this on a dark stormy night:
If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;
Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
Even the night shall be light about me;
Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
Psalm 139:11-12
13 comments :
Truly a magical night! And a perfect verse to match.
Good Morning. A beautiful post. I smiled at God's "back up lighting." I remember some 20 years ago, your oldest son was with us for July 4th night. As we watched fireworks from the back yard, lightning bugs lit up the magnolia tree.
I love this! God always has a "back-up plan" for everything in our lives!!
Isnt it great that God knows what we need, when we need it? Have a good Monday and week ahead.
You always encourage me with your posts, karen.
it has been many decades since I last saw fireflies. i love the back up light supply idea... and that the kids ran into the parents arms. when my sons were 5 and 7, Savannah had a terrible storm, the power went out, the temps were in the 90's, it was DARK and hot. Daddy came over and put the cusions from the sofa on the floor in front of out front door, with just the screen latched. we put all the windows up and he slept there protecting us through the dark night. my husband was a fireman and worked 24 on 48 off.
Thanks for sharing such a lovely memory. Psalm 139 is one of my favorites. It is comforting to remember that darkness and light are the same to the Light of the World. Blessings.
A wonderful memory & picture of how we can run to the arms of our loving
Heavenly Father in any occasion & know reassurance! I love to see fireflies!
& I absolutely adore your header picture!
"God's back-up plan" - I love this!
Karen, I love this story. I could just imagine the sound of all the kids running down stairs. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
What a wonderful story of the fireflies. Was that when you were living in Georgia? Nel said that she sees many fireflies living in Georgia, and they come out at night in her back yard, and Yes, they really DO light up! What a sight that must have been for you to see them lighting up your front yard after the storm.
~Sheri
I enjoyed your story. I love fireflies. I remember catching them as a child with my sister. We would laugh and laugh at trying to catch them.
What a wonderful thought! Thank you.
Post a Comment