Monday, August 7, 2017

Good Memories

Sunday afternoons, when we were kids, we'd all pile into the car and go for a drive out in the country. In the sixties, Alpharetta, Georgia, was small, but the neighboring communities were tiny! Passing through Shakerag, Ocee, or Crabapple folks sitting on their front porches we didn't even know would smile and wave.

We lived close enough to walk to Sunday night service at the Baptist Church. We would pause to enjoy the shade of the towering maple trees that lined the church property.

Fifth Sunday night was Hymn Sing - no sermon. People in the congregation would call out their favorite number. I liked it when we sang acapella: "I Am Resolved No Longer to Linger". I remember Sandra Bagwell's clear soprano, Larry Garmon singing tenor, and Charles Worley's deep voice chiming: "Hasten glad and free" .

The day might end with friends dropping by our house for Mother's pound cake and hand cranked ice cream.

For You, O God...have given me the heritage of those who revere Your name.
Psalm 61:5 

18 comments :

Anonymous said...

Precious memories, indeed.

Sandi said...

All the small towns around here just keep getting bigger, mine included. I wish I could turn back time.

Susie said...

Karen, I love your memories. Sounds like a perfect childhood. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Oh, the good old days.........were the best! And small towns as well.

Rose said...

Oh, Karen...you are so rich in memories!

NanaDiana said...

What wonderful, wonderful memories, Karen. I love thinking back to simpler happy times when we were kids and life seemed simple. Blessings to you-xo Diana

Ginny Hartzler said...

What wonderful wonderful memories. Those times were so much more simple and innocent. We didn't know how good we had it.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Such sweet memories!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, wonderful memories of your childhood. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

we share very similar memories, maybe because I was in GA to. and KY which was still the south. a few days ago I was telling bob about hand cranked ice cream, I brought home peaches and mother use to make peach ice cream. he is from PA and has never had home made ice cream. but they used to walk to the local parlor and get a cone. we never had anything but hand cranked. we also walked to church and once in a while had the call out the number hymns.

Aritha V. said...

Great memoeries! Love to read it.

Connie said...

Pretty zinnias in your header. These are lovely memories. Times seemed so much simpler then.

Carla from The River said...

I love the memories. Thank you for sharing.
Carla

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Precious Memories, How they linger!! Thank you for these sweet memories of days gone past. There are times I'd love to just go back to that simpler time, and then again, I remember we are closer to heaven now than then...so we keep pressing forward for the prize!!! Won't it be wonderful there??? (Love the old gospel songs!)

Visits With Mary said...

I always loved the church singalongs, so much fun.

R's Rue said...

Love.

Theresa said...

Precious memories, how they linger... Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Sally said...

I love your memories!!! I miss the old hymns and have great memories of our small country church, too.
I love your blog!!

Blog Archive