Sunday, August 20, 2017

A Gracious Plenty

My teenage friend's little brother begged him to help plant pumpkin seeds, so they could sell pumpkins in the Fall. Being a very busy big brother,  he told the little guy just to toss them out the side door and hope for the best.

The seeds were forgotten until one day they noticed that vines were covering the side yard. Their Dad was amazed to turn into the driveway one evening and find vines blocking the garage! Soon there were fat orange pumpkins everywhere you looked!

Little Brother pocketed some good money at his road-side stand, all from a package of good seeds.

Hiding God's Word in my heart is like planting good seed.

Just as rain and snow descend from the skies
and don't go back until they've watered the earth,
doing their work of making things grow and blossom,
producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry,
So will the words that come out of my mouth
not come back empty-handed.
They'll do the work I sent them to do,
they'll complete the assignment I gave them.
Isaiah 55:10-11

11 comments :

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post and a great reminder.

Lady Jane said...

I love this verse. It is very, very true. Hugs, LJ

Anonymous said...

Your son's photo of Nepal from his mission trip, goes perfectly with the cloud background.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I need to plant more of God's seed in my heart, and see what the harvest might be!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love the verse. The pumpkin story is cute. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Arlene G said...

I love the saying a Gracious Plenty Karen. My sweet Mother in law said that a lot and your title brought back special memories.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

you just told a modern day parable.. love it..

Red Rose Alley said...

So happy to hear that the pumpkins grew and he was able to sell them and make some money. A happy story for today. I've always wanted to grow pumpkins, Karen. Wouldn't that be something?

~Sheri

Rose said...

Well, I had this open last night and read it...but apparently I didn't get commenting done!

I have heard a different seed story...I cannot remember who it was supposed to happen to but someone in my family. The dad came along and gave one of the kids a whipping, for no reason. The kid was, "Why did you do that? I haven't done anything." The dad says I know, but the seeds are supposed to come up better if you're made when you plant them.

A few days later the dad ask the kid where the seeds were planted...the kid took him and lifted up a rock...he had just laid them under a rock. The kid said, 'You plant them now that you're mad.'

I don't know if this is true or just a story....

Connie said...

Sweet story and the verse is a good reminder.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely story and perfect verse.

All the best Jan

Blog Archive