Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Suppertime

When we were growing up, my sister and I often sat on the porch playing while Mother cooked supper. It smelled so good!

Mother was a great cook and she made everything the old fashioned way. I can picture her cracking open the shell of a coconut, grating it, mixing cake batter by hand, to surprise Daddy with a fresh coconut cake. She would recruit us to string beans, shell peas, or cut corn off the cob.

I remember that one of Mother's favorite old hymns was, Come Home, It's Suppertime, and we might sing it in harmony as we washed the supper dishes.



What is your favorite summer supper?

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

I remember how good her fried okra smelled. Remember the Vegetable man that would come around with fresh vegs. from his garden? I loved green beans, corn, squash, orka, tomatoes and cantaloupe! Love you - good night.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

The food was always good, but the reason it was my favorite is because everyone was around the table.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I love that song and used to sing it with daddy in harmony. mother made those wonderful cocanut cakes to. and your stirred a not so fond memory of cocanut. I ate a whole half of one and the next day had the tummy to prove it. LOL

eileeninmd said...

Hello, great memory. We had a porch swing, spent many summer evenings on the porch. Your mother sounds like a great cook. Have a happy day!

Arlene G said...

What a sweet memory Karen. I know that old song! it is a precious one.

Connie said...

I can remember shelling peas and lima beans and snapping green beans too. Things right from the garden always tasted the best.

Patsy said...

The best Cake ever made was My mother-in -laws coconut
Cake. I bet no one does the cracking and grating of coconut's
any more.

Nonnie said...

Oh Karen. I think we are on the same wave length sometimes and had very similar growing up experiences. Our grandson Jack gets very annoyed that I say supper and not dinner for the evening meal. The other night as I called them to supper, he made that little face and I sang that song!! Lol!! I love that song. Thanks for sharing it.

Red Rose Alley said...

That is so nice that your mother grated a real coconut to make a homemade coconut cake for your Dad. It sounds Yummy.

Carla from The River said...

That cake sounds wonderful. I am a fan of coconut.
My boys like to help me in the kitchen too.

Out on the prairie said...

I can smell the food cooking and as children made us even more hungry. A slice of raw potato was always good

bp said...

Sweet memories!

Blog Archive