Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Look What the Lord Has Done

Years ago I had the privilege of teaching a parenting skills course and leading a women's Bible study in a jail in Louisville, KY. It was a shock to me to see young mothers brought into the room with shackles on their feet. Some had been in trouble with the law since they were pre-teens.

I had never been in a jail and really had no idea what I was doing. I fell back on some of my teacher training and my work with at-risk families. In His mercy, God blessed that year, and even though women came and went, it seemed that the Holy Spirit would bring just the right scripture or testimony that spoke to a deep need.

Each of them was given an NIV paperback Bible. One of the ladies, who had been used by her family as a prostitute from age eleven, had a hot temper and was put into isolation for a time. She begged to take her Bible with her, and it brought her great comfort.

Lord, flood our hearts with your love for hurting people. Your love can break every chain.

This was their favorite medley. They would drum on the desk tops and stomp their feet in rhythm, and the guards would gather in the hall to listen!

9 comments :

Nonnie said...

Karen, what a blessing. I have great admiration for those working in prison ministry. So very tragic for children who live in such situations and grow up not knowing the love of good parents and are hurting so.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a story! You have surely gone where the Lord has led you in your life!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a story. I wonder what kind of crimes these women committed?


Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

What a blessing you were to them, and I thank God that He put you in that place for a time.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

what a wonderful story and memory from the past. i would be outside listening to them sing to. this is my first time hearing this song and i can see them singing and pounding on the table to this music. their stories are sad, even to this day.

Arlene G said...

What a great memory Karen...so glad there are ladies like you who are willing to go the extra mile to help others.

Connie said...

I'm sure your ministry there touched many lives. Wonderful story.

a joyful noise said...

What a lovely story, I haven't heard that song for a while. I can just see those girls stomping their feet and the guards wondering what is going on.

L. D. said...

This is so great. The word of God is so powerful.

Blog Archive