Tuesday, September 26, 2017

1972

My first year of teaching public school was in rural Forsyth County, Georgia, in 1972. A new building had been added to house the first and second grades, but the interior was far from being finished for several weeks .

A cornfield had been partially cleared for the construction, leaving dried stalks, and hungry crows.
Behind us were lovely woods and a gurgling creek with ferns growing in the shade.

To get away from the workmen with their drills and hammers, I took the 17 six year-olds for many nature walks and treasure hunts that September.

A special memory that year was my Mother spending the day with us on a field trip and teaching the children a song from her childhood about the Scarecrow in the Cornfield.

The scarecrow stands up all day long,
Nodding and waving to the old wind's song.
His coat tail flapping and his hat pulled low
As he stands and waits to scare that crow.



11 comments :

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red Rose Alley said...

How nice that you took nature walks with the six-year olds. They must have enjoyed that very much. Kids always love treasure hunts. What a special memory of your mom spending the day with you on the field trip. Scare crows remind me of Fall, and this is a delightful song.

~Sheri

Carla from The River said...

I always enjoy your memories.
xx oo
Carla

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

What a very special memory, and your Mother's song made me smile even more. Happy Wednesday to you!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Karen, lovely fall image and happy memories. The nature walks sounds like fun. I would enjoy that too. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this is a beautiful memory from the past, have not heard that song, but would have loved to hear her sing it... in 1972 my boys were 5 and 7, and I was working with 2 and 3 year old kids at my aunts daycare... I don't have any fond memory from that year.

Arlene G said...

What lovely memory, Karen. One branch of my family hailed from Forsyth County...the Greens.

Karen said...

Such a lovely memory. I'll bet those little 6-year-olds still have nice memories of those nature walks, too. What a treat for them.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a happy memory! Loved this!!

Theresa said...

What a sweet memory! Aren't you thankful for that day with your Mother? I know you are! Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

Lady Jane said...

Nice memory Karen. I have heard a lot of your mother from both you and Mildred and know what a wonderful lady she was. hugs, lj

Blog Archive