A few years back, when I was teaching second grade in public school, a student was writing on a topic of his choice, and he raised his hand and asked me how to spell Christmas. I was breaking it into syllables for him.
"C-H-R-I-S-T," I began.
"That spells 'Christ', " he complained. "I said Christmas."
"Well, Christ is the first part of the word Christmas."
"Who is Christ?" he asked.
"Christmas Day celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ," I told him.
"Really? Well, how old is that baby now?" he asked.
"It has been 2010 years since His birth," I said.
He thought for a minute and came back with, "Well, that's funny! This is the year 2010!"
This whole conversation was started by a seven year old's question.
The little boy keenly observed: "It's funny that our date comes from when Jesus was born, but in school, we never even talked about Him!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2019
(
121
)
-
▼
May
(
20
)
- Overflowing
- Teach Us to Pray
- Trusting
- Heaven-Rescued Land
- Sweet Fragrance
- Keep On Praying
- Rainbow Surprise
- "Who Is Jesus Christ?"
- Promise
- It is He that shall tread down our enemies
- We Bring a Sacrifice of Praise
- Purpose
- True Beauty
- On Mother's Day
- Lily of the Valley
- Why me?
- Your Love, O Lord
- FORGIVEN
- Glad
- Mr. Bluebird's On My Shoulder
-
▼
May
(
20
)
8 comments :
Funny isn't the word I'd use...
It is both 'funny' and sad that Christ isnt mentioned in school any longer.
It is a great story. I would get good conversations like that only when I was asked questions. The times were so rare. Students thought I was a rare person, one who would go to church.
Oh, what a precious story. "Out of the mouth of babes." I love how children are so innocent, receptive, and honest.
Thank you for sharing this sweet story!
Blessings! Net
Things that are being taught in schools now are transgender opportunities and things that are nothing to do with God's creation and the Bible. So different to when I was in school.
Out of the mouths of babes!
You and I were blessed to grow up with parents who taught by example and went with us to church each week. Sad how God is being left out of school today.
I had the same thought as Rose in the comments above, "Out of the mouths of babes."
Post a Comment