Friday, December 21, 2018

Memories of Grandma's Kitchen

Grandma had a little tea pot like this one. My sister and I loved to fill it at the kitchen sink and water her house plants. I remember one plant that she called "mother-in-law's tongue".

Every Christmas. Grandma would make a cherry-o cream cheese pie, her favorite. In front of the adults, she would say, 'Now just give me a sliver ." But then she would come back through the kitchen where us kids were eating, and tell me, "Cut me a decent piece of that pie!"

10 comments :

Laurel Wood said...

I loved that little tea pot! Holidays are for pigging out - no slivers of pie for me! haha

Ginny Hartzler said...

I know Mother-In-Law's Tongue! I think it is also called Snake Plant. I used to have one, they are almost indestructible. Your grandmother seems to have had a huge and wonderful effect on your life. Wonderful memories.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Wonderful memory, the cherry cheese pie sounds yummy. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend. I want to thank you for all the visits and comments on my blog this past year. I am looking forward to visiting your blog in 2019. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

that is so funny and sweet about the sliver. Mother had a teapot like this, it was only about 5 or 6 inches tall.. my grandmother had mother in law tongues under her house and we have some in our front yard. Hope you holidays are going well. Merry Christmas

Connie said...

Such a fun memory. I bet it was delicious!

L. D. said...

A decent piece is what I want too. It is a great story. My wife is making me mince meat pie this year which is a family tradition back to my grandma and her homemade mince meat.

Rose said...

Sweet memories...one of my aunts always had Mother-in-law's tongue plants on her porch.

Theresa said...

Memories, precious memories! I always ask for a sliver too:) Merry Christmas dear Karen, HUGS!

Brenda said...

Hi Karen,
sweet memories of when we were children are definitely treasures to keep. Have just put Christmas tree and lights up, looking foreword to spending time with family.
You and yours have a lovely Christmas.

Susie said...

Karen, This is a funny memory and I love it. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Blog Archive