Thursday, December 6, 2018

My Favorite Things

I have sweet memories of family and friends singing around our great-aunt's pump organOne of my favorite songs is Have You Any Room for Jesus link One of my favorite children's books at Christmas is Max Lucado's The Crippled Lamb.

A special Christmas tradition for our family was Mother quoting Luke chapter 2. She would always tell us about how she played the part of the angel in the school nativity play when she was 10 years old.

Will you share a favorite song, story or memory?

10 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your Christmas village is beautiful! Is it yours? You have such wonderful warm memories, ones to cherish for a lifetime.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, lovely Christmas memory. I have so many favorite Christmas songs.
Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

My grandparents had an old pump organ in their cabin in PA. But they sold it when they retired and moved to Florida, however they still had an organ at their new home. We would always gather round and sing Christmas carols, and my aunt would play. We now have an organ in our house, but no one really knows how to play it here. It belonged to my parents. I love whenever someone comes to visit who can play and we sing to our heart's content. One favorite tradition we had when I was a child, we would go to my grandparent's house and take a ride around their neighborhood to see the Christmas lights. There was one house that had a beautiful big ballerina doll in their big bay window. She would dance in place and we would sit outside in the car and watch her. To me, as a little girl, that was the most beautiful thing in the world. I went back in later years to see if I could find that house again, but I think either they changed the window, or somehow I was on the wrong street...I couldn't find it again. But it is there in my memory. It was magical to me.

Visits With Mary said...

We had an old pump organ, when we downsized it couldn't come with us to our new home. Mr D and I are reading one chapter of Luke a day, we will finish on Christmas Day. It's a great book. I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday and on an endcap was Because of Bethlehem by Max Lucado, of course it came home with me. I read the first chapter last night, I think it's going to be a great book for this time of year.

a joyful noise said...

Years ago, our church had a portable pump organ that we carried down the street to hold street meetings close to our church. We moved to a larger church and so did the organ. I have an old pump organ in my home, that my husband took in payment for a roof he put on somebody's garage. My daughter thinks she would like it when I pass on, but honestly I don't know where she would put it. Perhaps her daughter might enjoy it. Your post bring back happy memories. Enjoy this season as we celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus.

Aritha V. said...

(First: yes I will pray for what you asked)

And I love the (Dutch) Magnificat.

Sharing the link to the Dutch one (in an old Dutch church):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QF8y8Qmvk

Red Rose Alley said...

How special that your mother played the part of an angel when she was a child. Children see the world through innocent eyes. I love your side bars today, Karen, and your wintery Christmas village. I watched Max Lucado last night. He really speaks to me and touches my heart. : )

~Sheri

Connie said...

Sweet Christmas memories. My husband's aunt had on old pump organ in her living room that she sometimes played. Silent Night and Away in the Manger are two of my favorite Christmas songs.

Brenda said...

What beautiful memories you have Karen.
Even though my lovely dad died when I was eleven, I have beautiful memories of him playing the piano, the mouth organ and the trumpet when I was a child. One of the greatest memories I have is when me and my siblings used to argue and say 'Dad, dad, who is right?' Our dad would say 'Let's see what the Lord says' and always found a lovely proverb or scripture that would get us into a discussion and bring back order with us. It is something that has brought me to search the scriptures for the truth.

L. D. said...

I wasn’t raised in a Christian family and yet I remember watching the Christmas specials on tv. They were done with great reverence as they sung hymns. The “Drummer Boy” was fun to hear with the special sounds of the drums.

Blog Archive