Friday, October 19, 2018

Old Fashioned Georgia Tea Cakes

I saw this recipe in a cookbook and recalled stopping by Grandmother's house as I was walking home from school. I pictured her in her sunny kitchen serving me tea cakes warm from the oven.

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 to 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour

Mix sugar, butter, vanilla, egg, and milk.
Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough.
Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
Center should be soft when cooled.

14 comments :

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Tea cakes bring back sweet memories for me too. Your blog page is beautiful today. You find the nicest pictures to use. Happy Friday!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

we had this to but called them sugar or butter cookies. I loved them no matter what you call them... hot out of the oven is the best way. my son Daniel who is now 51 used to come home from school and make a batch and eat most of them himself

Aritha said...

O mjammie! I like it! Here it are boterkoekjes.

Carla from The River said...

Yum! Thank you for sharing. :-)

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks so yummy. Your header and background are stunning!

Lowcarb team member said...

I think your header is fabulous, what lovely colours.

I was only thinking about my Dear Grandmother today and all the lovely baking she used to do.
Blessings.

All the best Jan

Connie said...

They sound delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe. What a sweet memory.

Louca por porcelana said...

Sweet memories!Yummy recipe!Hugs!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
They are delicious memories. Have a happy day and weekend!

L. D. said...

I have never really heard of tea cakes in this country. The recipe looks good and I bet they are really good to eat. What a wonderful memory. My grandmother making fruitcake is a very fond memory for me.

Lady Jane said...

Love your autumn looks to your blog. MMMMMM those tea cakes sound so good. How is Mildred? Miss seeing her blog. Hugs, lj

Susie Swanson said...

Sweet memories and thanks for sharing with us. Have a nice weekend.

Pam said...

Oh the grandma memories...I love mine and hold them so dear. Great super simple recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Red Rose Alley said...

Georgia tea cakes....they sound delightful, Karen. The recipe sounds a bit like sugar cookies. : )

~Sheri

Blog Archive