Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Wise Question

When I was young, I saved up $400 and purchased my first car, a 1962 Chevy- refrigerator white. I was whining to my friend that I wished I had a sportier car-  metallic silver with racing stripes! My wise friend shocked me with his question: "Would that make you a more loving person?"

That caught me off guard. NOT: Would it make me popular...but would it make me more loving!!

That question came back to mind as I read Paul's prayer:

My prayer for you is that you will overflow more and more with love for others, and at the same time keep on growing in spiritual knowledge and insight. Philippians 1:9

14 comments :

Breathtaking said...

Hello Karen!:) Thank you! It would be a much better world to live in, if we loved more. Love is powerful, and healing. "Let all that you do be done in love". Corinthians 16:14. Have a great week!:)

Sylvia said...

Our hearts desire, as believers, should always be to grow spiritually. Great verse. Maybe we should ask ourselves those question before we make a decision when wanting something.
Have a good day, Karen.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i paid 500 for my first car, in 1962, it was a 56 chevy... but i was done with school by then, did not get it until i was 18, had to teach myself to drive it. daddy signed a loan with me to buy it for 50 per month. i was never popular in school, and had few friends. that is why i did not go to college, i hated school with a passion.

Red Rose Alley said...

A cute story, Karen. My first car, which I bought myself, was a silver blue Mazda RX 7, but I eventually had to sell it cause I stayed at home with my babies. Didn't have a car for awhile, but I wouldn't trade that special time for anything. : )

~Sheri

a joyful noise said...

Those were the days when you could purchase a good used car for $100 which was what Bob and I did in 1950 for our first car. Until then we rode the city bus that stopped close by our apartment. My parents always had a good used car when I was growing up and Dad worked on it when it needed some repairs. Today they use a computer to tell what your car needs. Yes, a car and things we own, are not the most important - - they will not make us a more loving person. We must hold with palm open the things of this world.

Connie said...

What a great question to ask ourselves about any decision to be made like this. It makes a difference to see something from a new perspective.

Karen said...

Such a wise friend. What a different world it would be if that were a first priority for all of us. My first car that I bought all by myself was a 73 Volkswagon super beetle -- it was about 10 years old when I got it. Lemon yellow. I loved that car!

Patsy said...

All looked very different when we were young.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a question! Amazing thought! Yes, something to consider when we are wanting "things"...I need to remember this.
I actually never had a car of my own. I left home to get married, and my hubby had a 1963 Dodge Dart, refrigerator white...with blue interior. And yes, it made me "more loving"...LOL...that is what he had when we were dating...LOL. funny thought...not exactly spiritual, but happy!! LOL. Loved your post and scripture.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

It's not what we have, but we do with it that matters. Loving others is first on the list. A car is a car, but loving someone will last forever and doesnt cost a cent.

Carla from The River said...

Karen,
This is a great question. I plan to ask my boys the same.
Thank you for sharing,
Carla

Nonnie said...

Great question from a young person. That prayer from Paul is one I pray often.
The most money I was ever able to save from babysitting was $80 and I spent all of it on clothes for school. I thought I was rich. Having a car was out of the question until I graduated and had a job that paid enough for me to buy a car.

Theresa said...

TRUE! My first car was a 1968 VW beetle:) I loved that old car! Thanks for this reminder... I always want to be more loving, no matter what car I drive:) Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

Lowcarb team member said...

A good question ...
Thanks for sharing and giving us cause for thought.

All the best Jan

Blog Archive