Popular toys I remember from the 1950's

If only I had saved those silver coins!
Please Christmas, Don't Be Late!

Me? I wanted a Hula Hoop!
Manufactured by Wham-O in 1958, 20 million Hula Hoops sold in the first 6 months.

My parents told me to only eat two!

Toy kitchen utensils from the Five and Dime Store

Tiny Tears. Aww! She cried real tears!

A poodle skirt. Nifty-Neato!

Mother let me decorate the plastic centerpiece with gum drops.
A wonderful, wonderful toy - til it got tangled up!
Remember when you were a kid, how you wanted every toy advertised during Saturday morning cartoons? Remember thinking Christmas would never get here? May this bring back some fond memories and make you smile!
15 comments :
Wonderful memories Karen. Thank you!! 1958 was a great year for me. My daughter was a baby. Just a great year to be alive.
I was in High School in 1958, but played with many of those toys.
Thanks for the memories.
I remember everything but the poodle skirt! Your pix brought me lots of smiles
Lot of good memories there.
I remember quite a few of the things listed here. Some days it seems a long time ago, and other days not so long ago at all! :)
Oh yes:) SO many of the same memories! Silly Putty, I can smell it now:) Slinky, hoola hoops and gum drop trees! Candy, fruit and nuts are some of my favorites sights under the tree! Thanks for sharing and triggering these memories! Have a blessed Sunday, HUGS!
Sometimes I think you and I grew up in the same house. Mom and Dad gave me Brach's chocolate covered cherries, too. The poodle skirt had to have the necessary can-can to go under it. We were thrilled to get those things you pictured above. I can still remember the smell of those dolls.
Hello, I remember some of these toys. The slinky was great. My family used to love those covered-covered cherries. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!
silly putty and the slinky really stood out for me - wonderful childhood memories!!!
Oh, I remember many of these toys, Karen. I have to say that I was a pretty good hoola hooper haha. That poodle skirt is so cute, never had one of those. Nel used to love to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks when she was little. And the Brach's chocolates.....oh the memories, Karen. Thanks for giving them to me once again.
I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
~Sheri
We must be the same age. I wanted (and had) most of those toys. I still have my tiny tears doll. Her rubber arms and legs are a bit dry and cracked, but her sweet face is still the same. Oh, I loved my hula hoop, slinky, silly putty, toy kitchen utensils, but I never got a brownie camera of my own. Maybe that is why I now take pictures of everything to make up for it! Thanks for the memories! That was wonderful. Oh for the good ole' days!
These toys brought back many good times. Fun post! :)
Hi Karen,
Your pictures of the early Christmas gifts are lovely. I love the memories of my Christmas gifts as a child, we used to look forward to the sock at the bottom of the bed with lots of small gifts, with dolls, doll houses and books for the girls, and model trains and jigsaws for the boys. Sadly this changed when my dad died when I was eleven years old, and my mum found it hard. My dad was one of the greatest gifts I could have been given, and was for those eleven years, and I thank God for his love for the Lord being in the Christmas season.
Such wonderful memories …
All the best Jan
A lot of fun toys of the past. Enjoyed seeing them and remembering them.
Post a Comment