Monday, December 16, 2019

LAMPLIGHTER

Before the electric light bulb was widely used, lamplighters had to go about the streets at dusk and light the gas lamps. Do you remember this song about The Old Lamplighter that Mother used to sing?
He made the night a little brighter wherever he would go, the old lamplighter of long, long ago.

How inky black the nights can be when the electricity is off all over town during a snow storm, and you can't see moon or stars hidden by the low clouds.

Maybe David was recalling how God brought him through a storm when he wrote this psalm:

It is You who light my lamp; 
the Lord my God 
lightens my darkness.
Psalm 18:28




7 comments :

Red Rose Alley said...

That's interesting about the lamplighters. They had a very important job. Yes, He always brings light on the darkest days. Your Header is so delightful, Karen, I love it!

~Sheri

Laurel Wood said...

A BEAUTIFUL VERSE YOU HAVE SHARED AND I DO REMEMBER MOTHER SINGING THAT SONG.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Yes, I remember the song "The Old Lamplighter of long, long ago"...and also Robert Louis Stevenson wrote a poem about "The Lamplighter". I love reading it in my little childhood book, "A Child's Garden of Verses" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Yes, Jesus is our light and our lamp now. He will light our path and show us the way. Lovely post. Thank you for bringing up these old sweet memories.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I do remember that old song. If memory serves me right, we used to sing it in school. Isn't it wonderful to know that God is our constant light and guide.

Buttercup said...

Beautiful post. I do remember the song, but hadn't thought of it in years. Thanks for the memory.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Our Pastor brought a message Sunday about we as Christians are the light of the world today, but the true light was born in a manager so many years ago. It is very dark when the power goes off and a bit scary when you are trying to find your way around. Good blog today. Be blessed today.

Louca por porcelana said...

Amen!Beautiful post and sweet header!Blessings,dear Karen,Merry Christmas!

Blog Archive