
When I was teaching second grade and teaching about the water cycle, I thought it would be great to imagine all the fun the snowman would have through the seasons as the children wait for him to come back next winter.
Where'd Mr. Snowman Go?
He's the puddle of slush
that flows over your feet
Numbing your toes
as you trudge down the street.
He's the crystals you see
on your own windowpane
As you wait for your school bus
to come down the lane.
In spring, you hear him
in quiet gentle showers
That water new leaves
and bright garden flowers.
He cascades down streams
'til they overflow
Bursting over waterfalls
onto rocks down below.
In summer,
he gives the trees a good drink
As the thunder claps
and lightning bolts blink.
He rains on your picnic
in the middle of July,
Sends you running for shelter
to keep yourself dry.
Autumn comes,
and he's watching so proud
From a gorgeous pink sunset
on a cotton candy cloud.
Then he teases the children
with an early snow flurry
To let them know
winter will come in a hurry.
Now December is back
and we can't wait to hear
If we'll have a white Christmas
again this year.
But "whenever great heaps
of snowflakes fall"
We'll build another snowman,
the best one of all.
~Karen Rice
12 comments :
I LOVE YOUR POEM!!!!
I LOVE this poem, Karen! I never thought about Mr. Snowman quite that way before, and this certainly tickles the imagination! Thank you. I bet you were a marvelous teacher!!!
LOVE the snowman poem!
Love this! Now I'll be on the lookout all year round.
It is really fun to build a snowman, but I can't remember when I last did so. I need to work on that.
I love this poem! Have a blessed day dear Karen, hugs!
I love your poem and also your page today. Have a good Monday and if you have some snow, enjoy for me!
Karen what a beautiful poem. I will never look at a snowman and not think of your wonderful words. Hope your Christmas is merry and bright. Hugs!
Beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing this.
Absolutely LOVE the poem, Karen! We get snow and the Grandchildren love it. Me, not so much!!
What a sweet poem, Karen. Thanks for sharing it with us. I can't wait to see the grandkids build a snowman one day. : )
~Sheri
Such a cute poem.
Post a Comment