After supper, Larry and I were sitting on the porch steps while Grandmother watered her flowers. Her phone began to ring off the hook in the den and she hurried in to get it. She came out with a big smile and told us that we had a new baby sister named Mildred, after our aunt.
A week later, we sat in the back seat of Daddy's Chevrolet at Kennestone Hospital anxiously waiting for him to bring Mother and Mildred out to the car for the trip home. I remember peeking over the front seat to see her for the first time - a peaches and cream face framed with Shirley Temple curls.
I talked with my sweet sister today and we reminisced about roadside stands that sold boiled peanuts, and fried peach pies.

13 comments :
I always wanted a sister. What a wonderful story! I was hoping it would end this good. Beautiful white flowers!
Sweet memories:)
Happy birthday, Mildred! Sweet story and lovely memory.
I miss having a sister and you are both so blessed to have one another.
Awwww, sweet! My sister and I reminisce often about those days. And I too remember the day my sister came home. Happy birthday to Mildred.
I to wanted a sister, you were both blessed to have each other. so glad you got to speak with her today. This is a heartwarming memory and a great story..
I love your "Peach of a Sister" and miss her blogging! What a sweet post about a special time in your lives! Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!
aahh, a sweet baby was born to the world that day. Mildred IS a "peach," Fried peach pies, I've never had one. But Nel made a Georgia peach pie recently and will show tomorrow. : ) I'm so glad you're writing your stories down, Karen. They are treasures.
~Sheri
I know you enjoyed your baby sister very much!! So glad you can still reminisce and make new memories. I am the baby of our family..and my big sister and I still get together whenever we can to make new memories and cherish the old. It is a blessing to have a sister who "knew you when". Would love some peach cobbler about now...
My sister and I were never close maybe I was too much of a loner and enjoyed reading and being by myself. Later it could be that she was jealous of me, or insecure, but she would curse at me and be cruel. I stayed away rather then submit to harsh treatment. Before she died I went to visit her and we made up. She told her daughter that she was so glad I came to visit her. Also she was able to reconcile with her son and daughter before she passed with cancer.
Some families are close and it is strange how small things can also cause a riff and split in the family. May you all have sweet peaches of sisters, because mine is now a peach in heaven. Love covers the past and the future is ahead and sweet.
Oh … such a lovely post.
Happy (belated) birthday to Mildred!
All the best Jan
I guess I never thought about who was older and probably did know once. I haven't seen Mildreds blog in a while. Miss her. Happy belated birthday to her. Glad you are still blogging cause I enjoy them. Hugs, LJ
Happy belated birthday to "my sweet friend" Mildred...My birthday was in August too...I had an eldest sister and I love her so much...Your post is really sweet,I am happy for reading it.Hugs!Thanks for the visit.Maristella.
Post a Comment