Saturday, August 25, 2018

Sundays Long Ago

Thoughts of "Sunday Dinner" made my stomach growl during the church service when I was young. Most folks we knew would make extra so they could invite company for dinner after church.  Mother most always had chicken,  her yellow mixing bowl full of home-made potato salad, and a pitcher of sweet tea in the refrigerator.

Back then many people rested on Sundays. So Daddy said our shoes needed to be shined, and all of the laundry, house cleaning, and yard work had to be finished on Saturday. Most businesses were closed in the 1950's in our small town.

We would go to church on Sunday night as well. Our Pastor would often close the service with everyone joining hands and singing
Blessed be the tie that binds
Our hearts in Christian love.
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like to that above.
by John Fawcett

15 comments :

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I think I lived in your small town and went to your church, because it was the exact same way for me! Thanks for the memories.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Truly wonderful memories. And your dad was so right! I well remember when stores were closed on Sundays. I remember the Blue Laws, too. Is this fall centerpiece on your table? I love it! I have no talent for arranging flowers. And what IS the beautiful flower in your header?

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I think all of us lived the same way you did. In the 50's that was the norm. we did the same as you on Saturday and nothing was done on Sunday but church morning and night and going home with other church memebers. on the rare day we ate at home, mother always put a chuck roast with potatoes and carrots in the oven to cook while we were gone.. thanks for stirring the memories. and I love the song and still remember the tune

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Wonderful memories of your Sundays. They were peaceful times and happy times.
Enjoy your day and new week ahead.

Susie Swanson said...

Love your memories and I lived them as well. We had to have everything done on Saturday because Sunday was a day of rest and like you we looked forward to church and those Sunday Dinners afterwards. Hope you have a nice week.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wish we could go back to Sundays like that again...people just don't seem to get together for Sunday dinner like they used to. Or if they do, it is at a restaurant. I miss being invited to eat with people in their homes or have people come home with us. But Sunday is hard to do that now...I personally like to get home and eat a simple lunch and rest the rest of the day...maybe take a nap. I do remember coming home to a nice Sunday dinner when I was a kid. Mom would put a pot roast in the oven that would be perfectly done when we got home. (Unless the preacher was long-winded. LOL).

Nonnie said...

It was the same for us. Saturday night baths, polishing shoes, getting ready. Sunday dinner, Sunday night church. Sweet times. We were in a pickle if we got a run in our stocking on Sunday because you couldn't buy them at the drugstore on Sundays. Texas blue law.

Red Rose Alley said...

I can just see your mother's homemade potato salad in the yellow mixing bowl, sounds so Yummy. That was nice that friends would make extra to invite people over after church. You don't see that nowadays. Love to hear your memories and sweet stories, Karen.

~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

Yes, I remember Puff, The Magic Dragon song very well. Thank you for visiting tonight, Karen. Francesca is starting to clap, wave, and make funny noises - she's trying to talk. : )

Carla from The River said...

I love reading about your childhood. Our world sure has changed, we just do not seem to have Sunday Night services anymore. We use to attend as well, in 2012 the church decided to no longer have Sunday Night Service. The church we attend now, only has Sunday Morning Service. We are thankful for our Pastor, he is a blessing to our family. He took Sam out to lunch and took time to pray with him.

Aritha said...

I love your herinneringen (memories). We always ate soup on Sunday. And it was so awful thick.

Brenda said...

It was very much like that in my childhood. My dad was a believer and used to settle many of the arguments of myself and my siblings when we said 'Dad, dad who is right?' by saying 'Let's see what the Lord says'. He always seemed to find something in the scriptures that brought us to realize what was right in the situation, and much of what he said is brought to my mind now even though he died when I was eleven.

Doris said...

My mom was the pastors wife and we often had people over for Sunday dinner. She was always prepared but I do remember her saying once when a family with several children were visiting from Michigan that we were only to take a small piece of meat the first time around because she was concerned that there wouldn't be enough :) good memories!
God bless your day, Karen!

Lowcarb team member said...

Sundays were always so peaceful …
Thanks for sharing memories.

All the best Jan

Connie said...

Lovely memories. Most Sundays after church, we went to my grandma's house for lunch and to spend the afternoon with her.

Blog Archive