Saturday, February 24, 2018

History and Geometry

Teaching geometry to sixth graders one day, as a substitute teacher, I was deep in thought about the wording of the teacher's directions. One 12 year-old in the class, raised his hand and consoled me, "It's okay, Ma'am. They probably didn't have geometry when you were in school."

Another day, I was teaching history and we were discussing the Civil War. Being from Georgia, I was vividly describing Sherman's March to the Sea, burning down houses along the way.
"Were you at home at the time?" a girl inquired.

Does anyone else remember Sam Cooke singing, "Don't know much about geography..."?
I laughed when I listened to those lyrics again. For all the semesters I spent studying French, I have very little memory of it now...and we won't talk about algebra!

16 comments :

Doris said...

Your stories are so funny. The older bunch when we were young are now looking quite young since we are now the older!
Have a lovely weekend, Karen!

Anonymous said...

Oh how funny! Kids are so brutally honest! John was talking to one of the Veterinarians about driving a limo in the 70's. She could not grasp that there were no cell phones then! lol

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

LOL, gotta love young folks! I admire and pray for teachers all the time, as my middle
daughter teaches English in high school. Happy Saturday and weekend.

Sandi said...

Haha...I remember when they invented geometry! ;-)

Ginny Hartzler said...

These are hilarious!! Your rainbow is so beautiful. I do remember this song! Did James Taylor do it years later?

L. D. said...

I substitute taught last year for this 7th graders and it was a lot like that. Now that I was way older than them they didn’t even try to relate to the times. They could not believe that my dad was in WW 2.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I love it when you share your memories because most of the time it flips me back in time. these are just to funny and i had my first laugh out loud of the day. bob and i were talking about how OLD our teachers were, just yesterday. they might have been 30 or younger. the odd thing is we spent and hour yesterday discussing the desks we sat in in what grade over morning coffee. this photo is exactly what we both went to school in for grade school, one room schools with these desks. and the one arm desk in high school

Susie said...

Karen, I loved reading this...when kids are young they think all grown ups are from the stone age. LOL Blessings to you , hope you are safe from the floods. xoxo, Susie

Patsy said...

Thanks Karen that was fun!

Connie said...

Oh, I remember when anyone over 45 was elderly. Wow! I past that along time ago . . . so "were you home at the time?" LOL
I do remember Sam Cooke's song. Sometimes I think that some educators spend much of their time assigning reading and then testing on dates instead of bringing those historical times to life in story telling adventures. Maybe if you had that class on a permanent schedule these children would actually learn and remember the events that made this country what it is.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

That was so funny. Kids just have no concept of time...and I remember being the same way. We thought our parents were SO OLD when they were in their 50-60's, and now I am pushing 70 and thinking it's not so old after all!!! Never did like history OR algebra...geometry was a little better...but not much...

Red Rose Alley said...

Yes, I remember that song! And it goes perfect with your post today. Algebra was never my subject either. Kids will say the most honest things, and that's why they're precious. Thank you for the rainbow today, Karen.

~Sheri

Christine said...

I remember that song and I enjoyed the innocent and hilarious comments of your past pupils!

a joyful noise said...

Out of the mouth of babes - - so sweet. Many years ago now, when my children were little, they asked me, "Tell us Mom, about the olden days." Time does not have much meaning to children. Loved this post Karen.

Angela said...

I used to work as a nanny and one of the kids asked me if people traveled in covered wagons when I was a kid.

Connie said...

Hahaha! Cute stories. You never know what kids are going to say.

Blog Archive