Grandmother loved flowers. When I got old enough to drive, she would have me drive her way out a country road. There was a little old house with a very old woman named Miss Ola who had a yard full of beautiful flowers - no grass, just red Georgia dirt paths she swept clean with a brush broom, Miss Ola still wore an ankle length dress and a sun bonnet like they wore long ago.
She and grandmother would catch up on old times, and the woman would load Grandmother down with flowers to take home, insisting we come back more often.
I was thinking about all the changes since Grandmother was born in April 1894. Yet the best things are the same, like the beauty of a flower and the gift of friendship.

13 comments :
Karen, I really like this post. The iris you are showing is the very color of the irises under my mother's picture window. In the yard at mommy's old house were lilacs and irises. The first flowers I ever remember in our yard, well other than dandelions and violets. Mommy was in heaven having those flowers. I am so very thankful that the flowers have not changed in all those years. :)
I miss seeing older ladies , as you have described here. I remember many in our old neighborhood. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie
I remember passing by Miss Ola's and seeing her tend to her many flowers. It is like a photograph in my mind. It seems folks don't have time to visit these days. We really have pollen blowing around in the air this weekend. My black car is yellow! ha
I totally agree on the best things in life. Flowers and friendship are right at the top.
Oh I love the pictures in my mind that your story conjures up. That sweet little Miss Ola in her ankle length dress and sunbonnet with her yard full of flowers that she loved to share...What a treasure! My grandmother was born in 1895 (paternal), and my maternal grandmother before that, but I'm not sure of actual year. They both loved their flower gardens. Yes, much has changed, but you are right...the beauty of a flower and the gift of friendship are treasures that time does not diminish. Thank you for sharing this lovely story with us today.
"I was thinking about all the changes since Grandmother was born in April 1894. Yet the best things are the same, like the beauty of a flower and the gift of friendship."
We have more, but we have so much less.
Aw, that is such a sweet memory you have! Your grandmother sounds like such a sweet lady. And Miss Ola sounds so sweet and generous. It is so wonderful to be able to look back and recall such times in life. God bless you, Karen!
Oh, what a sweet memory! Yes, the beauty of the earth is never changing. If we can keep man from ruining it! Such pretty pansies!
Wonderful memories of your Grandmother. The flowers are lovely. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead.
What a beautiful memory... I could almost imagine the three of you there sharing this special time together. Such wisdom our Grandmothers pour upon us! Thank you for sharing this!
Blessings! Net
Flowers and friends are the best! Lovely iris in your photo. Miss Ola's yard sounds like a wonderful place to visit.
Yes, flowers and friends are good :)
All the best Jan
I bet Miss Ola was so happy to see your Grandmother come for a visit. Yes, the beauty of a flower never changes. It is always there, a sight to behold. Your stories fill my heart with joy, Karen.
~Sheri
My grandmother loved flowers and no matter where she lived, gardens sprung up. It is a pretty header that you have chosen. We had hoped to see flowers blooming when in KC but they were late this year. The cold air just hung around too long.
Post a Comment