My oldest granddaughter will visit today to interview me about special education through the years. She is a junior in college, studying to be an elementary teacher. She has been observing in some inner city schools in Louisville, and her eyes have been opened to the many needs.
I remember when I started to school in 1956, there was no special class. Then in 1958, we had a wonderful teacher who came to teach children of various ages with many different diagnoses. Miss Brazeal was an inspiration to me.
I spent many years as a special education teacher and I was so blessed by the children and their families.
8 comments :
I really think it takes a special person to teach special ed. Someone insightful, patient, and very knowledgeable. I bet your granddaughter is so proud of you, and maybe following in your footsteps. Your header is gorgeous!!!
Nice to know that about you. God bless you.
Special Education is needed by many and so important :)
All the best Jan
How wonderful that your granddaughter will teach elementary school. Isn't it funny how we remember those special teachers we had through the years? Being a Special Ed teacher is awesome, Karen.
~Sheri
*I just love your Header with the red cup and the colored lights. There's just something about red in the kitchen.....and at Christmas time. : )
My youngest daughter learned discipline in the military, and when she began to teach special education, (and some of the children were actually adults) her blackboard lined out something to do in increments of (I believe it was every 15 minutes.) They needed change and a variety of things to do. One day, one of the big heavy boys attacked her, kicking her, dislocating her kidneys and other injuries sending her to the hospital. It was very traumatic. She no longer teaches special ed, but at times she substitutes at various schools in her area. I am sure your experiences in teaching were nothing like this.
More power to teachers everywhere, and to your lovely daughter as she persues her career.
Hello,
You must be very proud of your granddaughter. It is great she wants to be an elementary teacher. I remember a lot of my teachers with fondness. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!
Congratulations on your job,love to know more about you...My mother is a teacher too(now retired).Hugs!
I hope you had a nice visit with your granddaughter. Best of luck to her in the future.
Post a Comment