Pickled peaches and spiced apple rings
Candied yams and good green beans,
Cornbread dressing and sweet iced tea,
And pecan pie baked just for me.
Grandma in her apron,
Flitting all about,
Grandpa greeting kinfolk,
"Come in this house!" he'd shout.
Young'uns in the kitchen,
Cousins acting silly.
Grown-ups 'round the dining table
"Ask the blessing, Papa Billy."
I'm missing all the loved ones
Who once gathered around
But thankful for the love we shared
And the faith that they passed down.
Karen Rice

13 comments :
Your poem brings sweet memories of holidays long ago. Those round pickled peaches were hard to get a fork in on mama's good china; I remember a peach scooting across mama's pretty tablecloth!!!!! Love you
Hello,
Love the Thanksgiving poem. I miss my family's past Thanksgiving dinners, so many of my family member have passed away. Have a happy day and a great weekend ahead.
Very cute poem. When we would visit my brother's mother-in-love she would say, 'Come in this house!" Precious memory.
Sweet poem and memories.Happy Thanksgiving,dear Karen!
Love the poem - you are so talented and it painted the perfect picture of this holiday.
This is a lovely Thanksgiving poem, Karen. The spiced apple rings sound Yummy. I have been missing the big family gatherings at Thanksgiving too, and keep hoping we will all be together around the table once again. : )
~Sheri
I love this poem. I brings back many happy memories.
Happy Thanksgiving!
I really like the poem. I miss it all and regret that we really are not making memories with my family today. People living every where and not together really does limit a family to be together.I have many memories of the Thanksgiving of past with all the uncles and aunts and cousins.
Beautiful poem of great memories! Have a blessed day and Thanksgiving week ahead dear Karen! HUGS!
Oh, what a wonderful poem! That sure brings back happy memories. My husband's grandmother always made spiced peaches, and my MIL would always tell us that she put them in this certain glad compote dish that I now have in what was her china cabinet. I may just have to get that out and find some spiced peaches in honor of her. Yes, so many great memories. It never seems quite the same when we grow up. But when we were little, everything seemed to be very special and made vivid memories in our little minds. Thank you for sharing this. Made me smile.
Happy Thanksgiving, dear Karen. I'm so thankful for blog friends like you.
~Sheri
Your Thanksgiving poem was very special, I enjoyed reading it.
Happy Thanksgiving Wishes.
All the best Jan
Very sweet poem, Karen. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment