Grandmother Williams (who would be 118 years old if she were still
alive) liked to use the word "peculiar". She was always saying something
smelled peculiar, looked peculiar or someone acted peculiar. She meant
"different".
When my kids were young teens, I was going
to drive a group of them to the movies. One of the boys came out
sporting a do-rag (bandana) on his head. Just as he was about to get
into my car, his Mom saw him, called him back in the house and made him
take it off. When he finally climbed in the back seat, I heard him
mumble, "Why can't I be different like everybody else?!"
In the Bible, Peter talks about Christians being a "peculiar people". The Message Bible describes us this way: But
you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly
work, chosen to be a holy people, God's instruments to do his work and
speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he
made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted. 1 Peter 2:9
God
has made us peculiar people, His own special treasure. Does it seem
that He is lovingly heating up the fire and skimming away the dross? He
wants to purify the gold He has hidden deep in our hearts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2013
(
176
)
-
▼
May
(
24
)
- Tell Everyone Jesus Saves
- In the last times...
- I Wanna Hold Your Hand
- Path of Love
- JESUS IS OUR PEACE
- Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
- My Delight
- Peculiar People
- The Merry Month of May
- SAVED FROM WHAT?!
- Unfathomable!
- Stout and Sturdy!
- My Mother's Favorite Hymn
- Pure Hearts
- Delight in the Lord
- Still
- Path of Peace
- A Clean Record
- Servant of the Lord
- Supernatural Glow
- Where God Guides, He Provides
- Well Water
- Overwhelming Victory
- Isaiah 9:10
-
▼
May
(
24
)
3 comments :
Beautiful.
I remember grandma using the term "peculiar." Thank you for this analogy.
I don't mind being peculiar in this case! Nice post, Karen!
Post a Comment