Thursday, May 4, 2017

Still, Still With Thee

Still, still with Thee, when purple morning breaketh,
When the bird waketh, and the shadows flee;
Fairer than morning, lovelier than daylight,
Dawns the sweet consciousness, I am with Thee.
Harriet Beecher Stowe

An author, crusader against slavery, and mother of six, 
Harriet Stowe woke at 4:30 each morning to 
"see the coming of the dawn, hear the singing of the birds,
and to enjoy the overshadowing presence of God."

She was inspired to write the hymn
Still, Still With Thee
while reading Psalm 139
How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God...
When I awake, I am still with Thee!

9 comments :

Susie said...

Karen, This is beautiful. It's good to be up early and listen to the birds and watch the sun rise. Hope you are safe and dry. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Rose said...

I go to bed about two hours before she got up! I used to still like to get up relatively early considering the time I go to bed, but no more. I just got a kindle book a bit back about Harriet Beecher Stowe because it was there and it was free. Maybe I will read it one of these days.

Brenda said...

What a lovely post Karen, and your pictures are beautiful. I always think the daybreak is a lovely time and the birds singing are enchanting. We have many blackbirds around here at this time of year and they have a beautiful song.
God bless you Karen.

Sandra said...

we are early people and I can appreciate how she felt when she wrote the song

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful old hymn she wrote, Karen. You find some wonderful things to write about that bless us with knowledge we did not have before you wrote about it. I would never have known that----xo Diana

Mildred said...

How very beautiful. Love you.

Arlene Grimm said...

A lovely way to start the day Karen.

David Brown said...

"I will not leave thee, neither will I forsake thee", Hebrews 13: 5.

Connie said...

Inspirational post. Seeing the sunrise (the sunset too) can be a very moving experience.

Blog Archive