Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Goodness and Mercy

It is through the Son, at the cost of his own blood, that we are redeemed, freely forgiven through that full and generous grace which has overflowed into our lives and opened our eyes to the truth. For God had allowed us to know the secret of his plan, and it is this: he purposes in his sovereign will that all human history shall be consummated in Christ, that everything that exists in Heaven or earth shall find its perfection and fulfillment in him. And here is the staggering thing—that in all which will one day belong to him we have been promised a share... Ephesians 1:7-11a 
A dear friend since my college days passed away yesterday. He was a Vietnam veteran, a wonderful Bible teacher, husband and father. I will always remember his teaching on Ephesians 1, that impacted my life as a young college student at GSU.
He had suffered from dementia for the last two years. I remember that one of his favorite songs was "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever, and I will feast at the table set for me."

8 comments :

Nonnie said...

I was reading Ephesians 1 just this morning. The devotional writer made the comment that to her, Ephesians is the Mount Everest of the Bible. I'm sorry for your loss. Now I will find myself singing that song this afternoon.

Mary Hutchins said...

Sorry for the loss of your friend, peace and comfort come from knowing he is now with the Lord.

Susie said...

Karen, I am so sorry for the passing of your dear friend. You must take joy in knowing he is with our Lord. I still miss my brothers and parents so much...but I know where they are and it gives me peace. We all want to be loved and remembered. You honor your friend. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Mildred said...

My sympathy in the loss of your friend. He touched a lot of lives and will be missed deeply.

Connie said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, Karen. Prayers for peace for you and for his family and friends.

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friend, Karen. He sounds like a wonderful man. I love your blue blog design, it's really pretty. I was just telling your sister, Mildred, that there's just something about blue flowers that get to me. Thinking of you tonight, as you grieve for your friend.

~Sheri

Sandra said...

I think the book of Ephesians is the one I studied the most and meant the most to me for many years... sorry you have lost a friend, but happy he is in heaven with a perfect mind now.

Rose said...

Oh how sorry I am for the loss of your friend...but what sweet memories you have.

Blog Archive