Thursday, May 25, 2017

Beautiful Reflections

When scattered clouds are resting on the bosoms of hills,
it seems as if one might climb into the heavenly region,
earth being so intermixed with sky,
and gradually transformed into it.
Nathaniel Hawthorne

My first plane trip was in 1969 from Atlanta to Detroit. It was a thrill to look down at the rivers and farms beneath me. I spent ten weeks in different towns in Michigan, helping with Vacation Bible Schools, many times in backyards or camping areas. I have great memories of the kids we met that summer.

Our last week was in Munising with a view of Lake Superior. Such unforgettable sunsets there. But the most amazing sight was when we boarded a small plane and flew over Lake Michigan just as the sun was rising. The lake reflected the sky so perfectly that I couldn't tell where one ended and the other began.

9 comments :

eileeninmd said...

Hello Karen, pretty lake and sky shot. I love the quote. I am sure you have some wonderful memories from your time helping with the bible school. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

Debby Ray said...

Only our God could create a scene like this....GLORIOUS!

Mary Hutchins said...

God gave us so much beauty to enjoy. That picture is His work of art!

BCAUSEHELIVES.blogspot.com said...

Your trip and the sights you saw, sound 'Heavenly' for sure.

Mildred said...

I remember visiting you that summer in 1969! Very beautiful scenery there.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well Karen, first I must say that you delight me with your new headers and background each time I visit. Each is done so artistically and beautifully. And your picture! It is so perfect that before I read anything, I wondered if you had found it on a professional site somewhere. It is gorgeous!! And the way the sun is shining on the water. So your Hawthorne quote perfectly describes it when it talks about the earth being gradually transformed into the sky.

Nonnie said...

What a gorgeous sky! That's neat that you got to do that. My first plane trip was also in 1969. I flew from Tulsa to Orlando on the company plane to help my boss on a project. Your trip has eternal value!

Connie said...

Such a pretty reflection shot. I love reflections off the water.

Rose said...

Wow, I bet you have a lot of memories of that summer!

Blog Archive