Sunday, April 2, 2017

They sang a hymn and went out

Our ladies Bible study group observed the Lord's Supper this week. We were reading about Jesus and His disciples at Passover the evening just before He was betrayed. Matthew 26:30 tells us that after they had eaten the bread and drank the wine, they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives.

I wondered what they might have sung. I read that Passover tradition was to sing from the Psalms, closing with Psalm 118.

I thought of Jesus singing these words, knowing that suffering and death on the cross were only hours ahead
.
The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone;
the Lord has done this,
and it is marvelous in our eyes,
The Lord has done it this very day;
let us rejoice today and be glad.
Psalm 118:22-24 NIV


6 comments :

Sandra said...

I had never really paid attention to the sang a hymn part and I have read this verse many times. now I wonder to..

Rose said...

I have never even heard this mentioned, let alone paid attention to it myself.

Karen said...

I think this caught my eye because our pastor would quote that phrase: They sang a hymn and went out. And then he would lead us acappella in the song:
Blessed be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love. The fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I think you have educated a lot of us today...I have never noticed that part of that verse before either...I think it is one of those that gets skipped over too easily. That really touches my heart...because I love how God brings hymns and songs from scripture to my attention when I am listening to Him in the Secret Garden. Singing hymns was a part of Jesus' life and last moments on the earth...wow! Thank you for sharing this. I would truly LOVE to know what they sang too.

Connie said...

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing!

Nonnie said...

Karen, I love that, too, thinking about Jesus and the disciples singing. Our ladies group will be taking communion tomorrow and I will be teaching on it. I think of the verse in the Hallel that says,
Psalm 118:16-17 (NASB) The right hand of the LORD is exalted; The right hand of the LORD does valiantly. I will not die, but live, And tell of the works of the LORD.

Blog Archive