Monday, April 3, 2017

My first year of teaching school

My first year of teaching school was 1972 in rural north Georgia. The new wing was still under construction when classes started and I had to compete with the sound of hammers and the shouts of workmen. I taught first grade and we had a lot of "nature lessons" outside for those first few weeks!

The school was surrounded by cornfields parching in the late August heat. The sky was filled with the sound of cawing crows.

Many of the children in county were from low-income transient families and there was no preschool or kindergarten. They needed to learn all the basics that kids today know before beginning school. We had no library, art, or music classes, and the teacher sat at the table with the children during lunch and played played ball with them at recess. That was a lot of togetherness!

I can still remember the names of some of the kids (who are now over 50 years old). One boy's mother told me one thing her son remembers about first grade is that we always said the blessing together before lunch. And I remember that our principal began every faculty meeting with a heartfelt prayer for God's blessing and guidance. As a young teacher, I sure needed it!

9 comments :

Connie said...

Wonderful memories of your early teaching days. It sounds like you were a good role model and positive influence on your students. :)

Mary Hutchins said...

It's so sad that prayer is no longer allowed in our schools. There is no doubt in my mind how much prayer brought blessings into the class room.

Sandra said...

I remember rural GA in those years, by boys were 7 and 5.. I can hear the crows and see the corn fields. the children were blessed to have a caring teacher.

Rose said...

We always began our days with The Lord's Prayer and always someone said grace at lunch...along the lines of God is Good, God is Great, Let us thank him for the Food we eat...but still it was acknowledging our Lord.

NanaDiana said...

Wonderful memories. Bittersweet, I'm sure. I think we would all be a lot better off if they started today's school meetings with a prayer and said one before lunch! xo Diana

Red Rose Alley said...

A heartwarming story, Karen. I don't remember all my teachers, but I do remember one, she was sweet. Funny how we remember those little things and faces. : )

~Sheri

bp said...

I enjoyed reading your memories. How many years did you teach?

I taught 1st grade for one year and 2nd for two before Caleb was born.

I liked your background and got one myself for a change.

Ida said...

What lovely memories. To bad these days "prayer" isn't something allowed in school much.

L. D. said...

The year I started as an art teacher was 1972 also. There were no prayers said ever in that school. I prayed to leave the school and it was a lot better place to be.

Blog Archive