Monday, April 10, 2017

Hidden in My Heart

As I get older, I find that I forget words and names, and misplace things, but one thing I hope I never lose are the Bible verses, stories, and hymns I learned as a child.

Daddy would sit in his chair by the picture window on Saturday evenings, and we would read the Sunday School lesson. He would help me memorize a Bible verse each week. I remember standing in front of him, gazing out at the setting sun, saying verses.

My brother, sister and I learned the 23rd Psalm from the time we were small.  I am thankful to be one of His sheep. May I always listen for His voice.

The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
Forever.

14 comments :

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful memory to have of your dad, Karen. What a blessing to have had a father like that...and those lessons have stuck with you for your whole life.
I hope you have a blessed Easter week. xo Diana

Mildred said...

Sweet memories. I can picture that like it was yesterday. Thank you for the Easter card - it arrived in today's mail! xoxo

Sandi said...


"He restores my soul"


Amen...

Rose said...

We had the 'Bible' ladies that came to our school...once a month I suppose. And I assume now they were from the Gideons...but we all learned Bible verses and said them to our teachers. I am embarrassed to say I remember very few of them..

Mary Hutchins said...

May we never forget our precious memories!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

How Precious are God's Words to us! More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold. Sweeter than the honey and honeycomb.

Debbie Harris said...

You were blessed to have grown up in a Christian home where the Word was honored.
Precious memories you hold dear to your heart, such a joy.

Blessings♡

Ariƫlla said...

Very nice to read. I can image you, looking towards the sun ;-) I also hope never lose the Bible verses I've learned after my conversion (and parts from the Heidelberg Catechism) Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. God bless you.

Sandra said...

you were blessed as I was blessed to be raised by Christian parents. I shudder to think how I would have turned out with other parents

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a gorgeous header and background today! I guess this is the most memorized passage in the entire bible. You were blessed to have such a wonderful Christian father!

Dianna said...

Karen, I love to hear about when you were a child and the things that your family did together. This lovely post is just another example of how precious your family life was.

L. D. said...

I didn't memorize it until I became a Christian in my college years. I thought I should learn it as everyone in church was reciting it by heart.

Connie said...

My favorite--and also one I have committed to memory.

Nonnie said...

Children are sponges and it's so true that learning those verses at an early age are not forgotten.

Blog Archive