Thursday, March 2, 2017

Power Steering

Back in the 60's, Grandpa would spend his Saturdays buying old cars to refurbish. He had to have someone to drive them back home. So he recruited my brother and me. We really got an education in how to drive a lot of different cars.

I remember the first time I took a sharp turn in a car with manual transmission, and no power steering. I needed a lot of room for error!

Our Great-grandpa could never get the hang of driving a car with an automatic transmission. He kept trying to shift and pump an imaginary clutch!

My son sent me an encouraging word about learning to obey God automatically...not trying to figure everything out the hard way, but just trusting that God will give wisdom when we ask.

I confess I have spent many wasted hours trying to reason things out "manually" when I could have just trusted God to steer me by His power.

If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You’ll get his help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who “worry their prayers” are like wind-whipped waves. Don’t think you’re going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.

11 comments :

Mildred said...

Good Morning and thank you for today's encouraging words.
Have a nice day.

Sandra said...

I do remember the shifting and the huge big round wheels and how hard it was to turn. I tend to make life hard on myself by trying to turn my life without power steering. love the post and thanks

Theresa said...

GREAT message in this post:) I needed to hear it this morning! Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Susie said...

Karen, I think with us being human...we have all been there. I know I am to face my worries each day and pray on them ...then hand them to God....but at times I continue to worry...you know I inherited my mother's big old worry gene. :)We are loved and so blessed. Wishing you a great day. Bless you, xoxo, Susie

Patsy said...

So True!
Great story about grand-paw, I sure loved mine.
We called him (Big Daddy) can't get any more
southern then that.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I never could get the hang of manual transmissions...being a "lefty" I always blamed it on that, and my lack of coordination. So thankful for automatic and power steering...and Jesus to be my pilot (not just my co-pilot)!

Dianna said...

Hello Karen...I like the way you have shared about manual and automatic transmissions and then related it to our relationship with God. I know I've spent times trying to do things the manual way rather than automatically trusting God to take care of it for me.

Rose said...

Yes, thank you for the encouraging words...

Mrs.T said...

What an excellent thought, Karen! I could never get the hang of a standard transmission, but a few times recently in wet weather, the power steering in our mini-van just went away. A very unsettling feeling! I love the idea about learning to obey God automatically, not trying to steer by our own power.

Connie said...

I enjoyed this story. Good advice! Enjoy your weekend!

Red Rose Alley said...

What a wonderful verse, Karen. Thank you for sharing it this morning. And a very special encouraging word from your son.

Have a restful weekend.

~Sheri

Blog Archive