Thursday, February 9, 2017

My Camping Story


Once long ago my big brother and I (6 and 8 years old) decided to camp out in the back yard. Okay, there was no bear, and we didn't have a tent, but our family never went camping, and we thought that would be great fun. So we took quilts and lay down on the hard ground behind the house. After it got dark, we listened to a choir of crickets and counted stars!

Maybe thirty minutes passed before we slipped in the kitchen door. The nightstand lamp was on and our sheets were turned down, and we were soon between the covers of our own beds. (Our parents must have chuckled!)

That's my one and only camping adventure....But it paints a picture for me. Sometimes I think I am out there on my own when all the time my Heavenly Father is peeking through the curtain with His watchful eye. He knows that our stay here on earth will be so brief compared to eternity. He has left the door open, the light on, and has prepared a place for us.

Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 
John 14:1-3

12 comments :

Sandra said...

I enjoyed your story. My brother wanted me to camp in the back yard, and I said no way and I sleeping outside in the dark and on the ground. he did it by himself and made it most of the way through the night. I like camping with windows and doors and beds.. as in a cabin in the woods.. the same brother owned land a few years ago, vacant land. he built a small cabine so he could spend the night there when he wanted to. build 4 bunks out of wood and said we could put sleeping bags on the bunks. no said the big sister... thanks for jogging my memory bank

Arlene Grimm said...

Such a good word picture Karen. I know I can get in that mindset but it is good to know the bed is turned down and the light is on.

Mildred said...

Good Morning, Such a sweet post today. I wish you a wonderful day.

Mrs.T said...

I've done lots of camping (tents) and always enjoy it. The past few years we always took an air mattress to spread our sleeping bags on. Easier on the aging bones!

Your story was fun. But I really loved the picture that it painted for you, and that you shared with your readers. Such a blessing when we remember, as you said, that our Heavenly Father has left the door open, the light on, and the place prepared for us. Thanks so much for sharing this with us today!

Dianna said...

Thank you, Karen, for this picture of how our Father takes care of us.

Red Rose Alley said...

Karen, that must have been a fun camping adventure with your brother even if it was brief. And the verse is a very special one, indeed.

~Sheri

Cranberry Morning said...

This was a great post, Karen, with a good life application. I used to go camping with the neighbor kids down at the creek. We'd take blankets and sleep on that hard ground. These days my body demands a real bed. LOL

Nonnie said...

That is such a sweet story. We are in chapter 14 of John's gospel in Bible Study Fellowship. We have so much to look forward to in our Father's house.
(My best friend and I too tried camping out in the back yard in my brother's pup tent.) We didn't make it through the night either.)

Rose said...

This is such a good post...I really enjoyed it.

Mary Hutchins said...

This is such a sweet post. My heart is at peace because He always has His door open and His light on.

Connie said...

Wonderful analogy to go with this scripture. I enjoyed this post. :)

L. D. said...

It is a great story. We slept outside as a kid because our house was just so hot inside. I think we made it the entire nights.

Blog Archive