Friday, February 10, 2017

Memorization

I am truly impressed with all the long Bible verses Kaedyn has learned in first grade. Memorizing did not come easy for me. Maybe if I could put it in a song, I could remember it much better. Now, at 66, I remember things I learned in first grade, but I forget recent things.

Having the last name Williams when I had to learn a poem in school was an advantage. By the time the teacher called on me, I had heard the poem recited 25 times! Also my brother had to memorize the same poem the year before. I still remember my brother practicing Sir Walter Scott's poem:
Breathes there the man, with soul so dead, Who never to himself hath said, This is my own, my native land! Whose heart hath ne'er within him burn'd, As home his footsteps he hath turn'd,  From wandering on a foreign strand!

I remember that, as a child, those lines made no sense to me at all. I went overseas on a mission trip when I was 50 years old - the first time I had been out of the country. Then I understood a little better how much I appreciated America. Only a few weeks after I returned, we had the terror attacks of 9/11. How thankful I was that I was not traveling at the time.

11 comments :

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it always feels good to return home after a trip. Traveling near the 9/11 terrorist attacks would be scary. I love the poem! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Mildred said...

Good Morning. Memorization never came easy to me either! I am so proud of Kaedyn.

Mary Hutchins said...

We carry so much with us from our childhood. I remember having to memorize Little Orphan Annie...I really enjoyed it, now I can only remember the first line..

NanaDiana said...

That must have been a classic. We had to learn that one, too. And I learned and used to recite Curfew Shall Not Ring Tonight....I still remember most of it- and I found it a fascinating poem. xo Diana

Dianna said...

I'm sure you are quite proud of Kaedyn for all of the Scripture she is memorizing. It will serve her well down through the years.

I am glad that you were back in the States before 9/11 took place. God was being your Protector.

Connie said...

I think it is much harder to memorize a poem like the one you mention because the language is outdated and seems foreign, at least it does to me. The days of 9/11 were indeed terrifying--travel these days doesn't seem much better unfortunately.

Lady Jane said...

I hated to memorize in school. I remember having to memorize that poem also. Ugh!!! A good one that has helped me all my life is "I after e, except after c". The little ones I could keep in my head, lol. Hugs, lj

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I used to be good at memorization...was in several plays and had long parts to memorize...and now I can hardly remember my phone number some days! What a difference being 66 makes!!!I've been trying to remember a recitation I did in high school from the book of Genesis, The Creation Story...a monologue, and I can't quite remember how it went...so I need to look it up again. Thank you for reminding me that I have been meaning to do this...Oh well...Thanks for a great post!!!

Patsy said...

I didn't like memorizing, she is doing a wonderful thing
and sure this will be a great help to her.

Red Rose Alley said...

I think that's special that you went on a mission trip when you were 50. It must have been a great experience.

I think traveling to the holy land would be such a wonderful trip. To walk where Jesus walked would be truly amazing.


~Sheri

Rose said...

I remember having to memorize the Gettysburg address, but we didn't have to memorize much that I remember!

It is wonderful that Kaedyn is memorizing verses. When you were a in school did the Gideons come to your school?

Blog Archive