Friday, February 17, 2017

Day of Prayer

The National Day of Prayer was signed into law by President Truman in 1952 after Billy Graham and his team held a five-week Crusade in Washington, D.C.

Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn said, “This country needs a revival” and gave final authorization for a Congressional Act authorizing Graham to hold services on the Capitol steps on Sunday, February 4 that year.

It must have been overwhelming to Vice President Truman to suddenly be sworn in as President shortly after Roosevelt's death, in the middle of World War II. Truman said:
"At this moment, I have in my heart a prayer. As I have assumed my heavy duties, I humbly pray, Almighty God, in the words of King Solomon: 'Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad, for who is able to judge this thy so great people?'"

This year the National Day of  Prayer will be on May 4. I am praying the prayer of Solomon for President Trump and Vice  President Pence.

8 comments :

Sandra said...

I will join you in praying that prayer for the president. our country is in a chaotic mess right now

NanaDiana said...

Amen. I will join you in that prayer, Karen. I fear for the angst and divide that has been caused in our country. xo Diana

Debbie Harris said...

Amen! Good for you and thank you for the reminder and challenge.

Bless you~~

Mary Hutchins said...

Well said Karen. I too will pray this prayer of Solomon for our leader.

Mildred said...

I join you in prayer also. Thank you for sharing this.
Love you and wish you a nice weekend.

Rose said...

Oh, not only on May 4 but need to pray every day.

Melanie said...

Our nation needs all the prayer it can get. I will be joining you as well.

Dianna said...

Oh to have that kind of revival in this country again!

Blog Archive