Thursday, January 19, 2017

Come Hungry!

In the old days our family might get out and go for a drive and drop in to visit a friend or relative. Daddy's Cousin Martha was always glad to have company and never failed to offer us something to eat.

If we wanted to make her happy, we'd better not go when we had full stomachs! She insisted that we sit down at the kitchen table and have some cake or pie. But she wasn't satisfied for us to only have one helping!

"Oh, it ain't fit to eat!" she'd apologize, hinting for more compliments. "This ain't as good as I usually make, is it?" I was never sure how to answer that question!

I couldn't help thinking of Martha's generous heart and fragrant kitchen when our pastor said that the only requirement for coming to the Lord Jesus is to "come hungry"!

In His famous "Sermon on the Mount" Jesus assured us: "You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat." Matthew 5:6 Message

10 comments :

Jedidja said...

Thank for the important lesson in it! Have a nice day!

Sandra said...

My dad was a Baptist Pastor all my life.. every home we visited we had to eat something and drink something. since I am from the South the drink was always sweet tea.. the food was mostly lunch or dinner. everyone wanted the pastors family to come for lunch after church. one lady, Miss Axie, always had about 10 deserts and since I am a sugar addict you can guess where I wanted to go

Mary Hutchins said...

I'm always hungry for God's Word...and I would love to sit down to my Momma's table just one more time. She was a fabulous cook, like your Dad's cousin...she was always ready to feed someone!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your cousin sounds like a wonderful person. The pie looks delicious. I remember my grandmother being a great baker of cakes. YUM!
Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend!

Mildred said...

Oh i enjoyed this and the parallel to the verse. I remember going in the back door at Martha's and smelling a pie coming out of the oven!

Red Rose Alley said...

Your Daddy's cousin, Martha, sounds like a nice lady always having a pie ready for her relatives to eat. My Aunt used to bake cookies and candies all the time, and sometimes I would go over there and she had rows and rows of baked goodies on her kitchen table. Thanks for the sweet memories, Karen.

~Sheri

Connie said...

Martha's house sounds like a fun place to visit! :)

L. D. said...

I really liked hearing about your Aunt Martha. Her pies and cakes were such a good way for here to extend her love to others. I am sure she made a lot of them in hopes of people stopping by to share them. Great verse to compare to the story.

Hazel Moon said...

When it comes to the things of God, we must have a good appetite, and be hungry as your post says. It is wonderful to have a cousin Martha who provides good things in the natural to eat. What a blessing she has been to many.

Rose said...

What a pleasant memory...

Blog Archive