Saturday, December 3, 2016

Sled Ride


I talked to my granddaughter, Skyler, today who now lives in sunny California. She longs for a white Christmas like they once had in the mountains of Virginia. She will soon be sixteen.

When I was 8 years old, we were surprised to wake up one morning to eight inches of snow, a rare treat in Georgia! It had been an unusually cold winter and Grandpa said, "If snow stays on the ground for three days, it will snow again, and it did!"

"If  it stays on the ground three days,"
Grandpa said, "It will snow some more,"
The next morning we saw snowflakes falling
Through frosted panes in the front door.
In the afternoon sun, it melted to slush,
But froze that night with an icy crust.
Icicles dangled from the traffic light,
As we dashed across the street for a snowball fight.
We Georgia kids had no flexible flyer,
So we rounded up whatever we could acquire.
We borrowed the lid from a metal trash can
And pushed the little one in an old dishpan.
With our fingers numb we charged through the door
Tracking up Mama's just-mopped floor.
Her cups of cocoa warmed our insides
And we rushed out the door for one more sled ride.

-Karen 

11 comments :

Red Rose Alley said...

I know how your granddaughter feels, Karen. Living in sunny California, I always long for a white Christmas. In Northern Calif. (where I live) it DOES snow, but you have to go up a bit higher to see it. What a delightful poem. Did you write it?

~Sheri

Mary Hutchins said...

That is such a cute poem! Enjoyed visiting with you today, I'll come again!! Hope you have a very blessed SonDay.

Doris said...

Well.....I have always lived where it snows. Doesn't always bring us a white Christmas though. Last year it was a foggy warm day in the 70's! I loved snow as a kid. Now I am less in love with it, In fact, hate is not too strong a word to state my feelings about the white stuff! Tell your granddaughter to soak up some sun for those of us who wish for warmth :)
God Bless your day, Karen!

NanaDiana said...

What a fun, fun memory, Karen. I grew up with snow right up to the eyeballs in PA. One year we had so much snow in the mountains that we were snowed in for 15 days. We farmed and had to take the milk out back of the barn and dump it because there was no way to get it to the creamery for processing. Yours is a FUN memory though. xo Diana

Mildred said...

I love the poem! I sure remember the trash can lid! lol

Arlene Grimm said...

Karen, I can count on my hand the number of White Christmases I have enjoyed but you are right, in the South it is such a blessing.

Karen said...

What a cute poem and memory of Georgia snow! My folks used to say that "3 day" deal, too...I had forgotten all about that!

Jedidja said...

That is a great memory!

Connie said...

Ah, this is really sweet!

Sandra said...

great memories, I came over from Mildred's blog. we live in Florida and love sunny Christmas and no snow. we are complaining today because a cold front will make it 51 when we wake up tomorrow.

Primitive Stars said...

Hello, I'm a new follower.... Love this, I have lived where it snows every winter, always went tobogganing. Blessings Francine.

Blog Archive