Saturday, December 10, 2016

My Snowman Poem

So where did Mr. Snowman go? I worried about "Frosty" when I was a little girl. Why did he seem eager to leave the children for new adventures?

I am reposting this poem I wrote when I was teaching about the water cycle in second grade. I thought it would be great to imagine all the things the melted snowman would do through the seasons as the children wait for him to come back next winter.

Where'd Mr. Snowman Go?

He's the puddle of slush
that flows over your feet
Numbing your toes
as you trudge down the street.
He's the crystals you see
on your own windowpane
As you wait for your school bus
to come down the lane.

In spring, you hear him
in quiet gentle showers
That water new leaves
and bright garden flowers.
He cascades down streams
'til they overflow
Bursting over waterfalls
onto rocks down below.

In summer,
he gives the trees a good drink
As the thunder claps
and lightning bolts blink.
He rains on your picnic
in the middle of July,
Sends you running for shelter
to keep yourself dry.

Autumn comes,
and he's watching so proud
From a gorgeous pink sunset
on a cotton candy cloud.
Then he teases the children
with an early snow flurry
To let them know
winter will come in a hurry.

Now winter is back
and we can't wait to hear
If we'll have a big snowstorm
again this year.
But "whenever great heaps
of snowflakes fall"
We'll build another snowman,
the best one of all.


~Karen Rice

7 comments :

Theresa said...

What a sweet poem:) Have a blessed Sunday dear Karen, HUGS!

Mary Hutchins said...

Great poem!!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, I LOVE that poem! What a great way to explain where Frosty went! That was really good. You are very talented! Thank you for sharing it with us! I'll never look at that song the same way again!!

Connie said...

I love this poem, Karen. So clever!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a cute poem. You do have a way with words, well done. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

Karen @ away for the weekend said...

I've never thought about where Frosty goes - I really like this - and it seems like a wonderful lesson for children!

Red Rose Alley said...

How delightful. I love poems, especially those that rhyme. :)

~Sheri

Blog Archive