Saturday, December 3, 2016

Christmas is for Receiving

Did you ever know someone who would not receive a gift from you?  I had an MIL who would not accept gifts from me, even if I went to great lengths to get the very thing she said she wanted. It made me feel awful. There was an episode on "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Ray discovers Christmas gifts from years past piled in his parents' basement, still in the original unopened boxes, because they "couldn't understand high tech stuff like tape players". It was funny on the sit com, but hurtful in real life.

It made me think about the fact that Christmas is a time for RECEIVING as well as for GIVING.
How must God feel when people refuse the wonderful gift of His Son?

I read this beautiful quote from Dale Evans Rogers:
"Christmas is giving. But Christmas is also receiving. In the Bible it says, 'As many as received Him, to them gave He the power to become the sons of God...' As many as received Him! When we understand that, we understand that receiving can be even more important than giving - at Christmas!
When we receive Christ, we experience completely the gift that is Christmas."



7 comments :

Theresa said...

I know what you mean! Christmas is for giving and receiving:) Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS! (I remember that Raymond episode)

Susie said...

Karen, I love this post. God's gift to us is the best. I think if I had people who would not receive a gift from me....I would give the cost of such a gift to the needy . :) I can understand why it could hurt your feelings. Did she ever explain why? Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Melanie said...

So true, Karen. Giving can give such joy and when it's not received, it hurts. I'm sorry your MIL was like that. You seem like such a giving person. Have a lovely weekend.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Sometimes people just can't accept gifts because they feel unworthy, or they want to be the one always doing the giving. There are truly some people who just do not know how to accept gifts or words of praise. They are the ones missing out on the blessing. Love your post. Thank you.

L. D. said...

I have a friend that discussed this with me. I was saying I like giving more and really think I should do more. I then said that I have a hard time of receiving and am working on it. My friend has great guild because he doesn't know how to give as he never saw it going on his family as he grew up.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh no, that's too bad that your mother-in-law wouldn't accept the gifts you gave. Thanks for the gentle reminder that it is a good thing to receive as well as give because often times we like to give give give.

~Sheri

Connie said...

Yes, there is joy in both giving and receiving. It can feel hurtful and bring on disappointment when our gifts aren't well-received.

Blog Archive