Saturday, November 19, 2016

Thanksgiving Night


On Thanksgiving evenings Mother and Dad would take us kids to downtown Atlanta to Rich's Department Store. As the sky grew dark, we'd stand in the street with the crowd waiting for the lighting of the Great Tree that sat on top of the five-story crystal bridge.

Choirs from Atlanta area stood on each bridge. The floors would light up one at a time and each choir would sing a familiar carol. For the finale, a soloist would begin to sing "O Holy Night". All the floors would light up at once and every voice would join in singing, "Fall on your knees. O hear the angels' voices. O night divine! O night when Christ was born". At that moment the huge tree would be lit and everyone down in the streets would gasp in delight.

After I was married and had kids, we started a tradition of turning on the lights of the Christmas tree at our house on Thanksgiving night.

4 comments :

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow! What a wonderful tradition. Do they still do that in Atlanta? Just wondering. How do you find time to decorate your Christmas tree on Thanksgiving night? I still don't know how people do that...but it sounds lovely. I usually collapse into bed, too stuffed with turkey and stuffing and pumpkin pie to do anything else!

Connie said...

Such a sweet memory and lovely family tradition. Sounds wonderful. I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

Susie said...

Hi Karen, I loved reading about how things were with your parents on Thanksgiving night. What a charming memory. My daughters started a tradition when they were young teens . They would go home from my parents house and start playing Christmas albums and singing. I would stay at mommy's so the girls could have that fun to themselves. I am glad they have a good memory too. I like that you and your family would light your own trees after you were grown. :):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Red Rose Alley said...

What a sight that must have been as a kid to see the big Christmas tree lit up on top of the bridge. And what a nice tradition it is having your own tree lit up the day after Thanksgiving. I have many traditions as well, and some of them were passed down from my dear mom.

~Sheri

Blog Archive