Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Precious Name

My children loved to watch the movie The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. In it, a little girl named Imogene, who has never been to church before or heard the Christmas story, is practicing to play the part of Mary in the children's Christmas play. When she hears the prophecy from Isaiah 9: He shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, she innocently asks, "With a name that long, how will the kid will ever get out of first grade!"

Imogene was beginning to understand how precious the Name of Jesus is!

John Newton penned these words in 1779.

How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
In a believer’s ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

Jesus! my Shepherd, Husband, Friend,
O Prophet, Priest and King,
My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
Accept the praise I bring.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12

8 comments :

Mildred said...

I haven't heard that hymn in a long time. Beautiful lyrics.
Wishing you a very nice day. Love you!

Theresa said...

Sweet! Our Church just started practicing for the Christmas program:) Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

peggy said...

So sweet to read your post this morning.

Connie said...

Nice post! He has many names and roles.

Red Rose Alley said...

I love that He is called "Wonderful."

~Sheri

Nonnie said...

That song is new to me. Beautiful words. We will be attending the Prestonwood Baptist production of The Gift of Christmas. I am so excited.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- yes- I loved that story. Two of our grandgirls were characters in The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It was a fun story with a wonderful message. xoDiana

Carla from The River said...

Oh yes, we love The Best Christmas Pageant Ever too!! Thank you for sharing. We watch it every year.
xx oo
Carla

Blog Archive