Saturday, November 26, 2016

Low Tech Toys of Christmas Past

What a thrill. You could make a mirror image copy of Beetle Bailey from the Sunday comics!

Perfect for re-gifting!

Please Christmas, Don't Be Late! 


Me? I wanted a Hula Hoop!
Manufactured by Wham-O in 1958, 20 million Hula Hoops sold in the first 6 months.


My parents gave me a whole box of Chocolate covered cherries. Then told me to only eat two!

Toy kitchen utensils from the Five and Dime Store


Aww! She cried real tears!

A poodle skirt from my Aunt. Nifty-Neato!


Mother let me decorate the plastic centerpiece with gum drops.


A wonderful, wonderful toy - til it got tangled up!

And a Brownie flash camera to take pictures of all the loot!

Remember when you were a kid, how you wanted every toy advertised during Saturday morning cartoons? Remember thinking Christmas would never get here? May this bring back some fond memories and make you smile!

12 comments :

Beth said...

Wonderful memories Karen. Thank you!! 1958 was a great year for me. My daughter was a baby. Just a great year to be alive.

Wanda said...

I was in High School in 1958, but played with many of those toys.

Thanks for the memories.

Pam Williams said...

I remember everything but the poodle skirt! Your pix brought me lots of smiles

S. Etole said...

Lot of good memories there.

Daisy said...

I remember quite a few of the things listed here. Some days it seems a long time ago, and other days not so long ago at all! :)

Theresa said...

Oh yes:) SO many of the same memories! Silly Putty, I can smell it now:) Slinky, hoola hoops and gum drop trees! Candy, fruit and nuts are some of my favorites sights under the tree! Thanks for sharing and triggering these memories! Have a blessed Sunday, HUGS!

Nonnie said...

Sometimes I think you and I grew up in the same house. Mom and Dad gave me Brach's chocolate covered cherries, too. The poodle skirt had to have the necessary can-can to go under it. We were thrilled to get those things you pictured above. I can still remember the smell of those dolls.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I remember some of these toys. The slinky was great. My family used to love those covered-covered cherries. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Debbie said...

silly putty and the slinky really stood out for me - wonderful childhood memories!!!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I remember many of these toys, Karen. I have to say that I was a pretty good hoola hooper haha. That poodle skirt is so cute, never had one of those. Nel used to love to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks when she was little. And the Brach's chocolates.....oh the memories, Karen. Thanks for giving them to me once again.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

~Sheri

Pamela M. Steiner said...

We must be the same age. I wanted (and had) most of those toys. I still have my tiny tears doll. Her rubber arms and legs are a bit dry and cracked, but her sweet face is still the same. Oh, I loved my hula hoop, slinky, silly putty, toy kitchen utensils, but I never got a brownie camera of my own. Maybe that is why I now take pictures of everything to make up for it! Thanks for the memories! That was wonderful. Oh for the good ole' days!

Connie said...

These toys brought back many good times. Fun post! :)

Blog Archive