Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sure-footed

Saddle oxfords were all the rage when I was in high school. I begged  Daddy to buy me a pair, but when I put them on the next morning, on my skinny legs they felt like ten-pound weights!

I was so proud of my shoes, but it was pouring rain as I jumped puddles from the bus to the front door of Milton High, trying to keep them clean. As soon as I stepped into the wet foyer, my feet flew out from under me, and I found myself staring up at two strong athletes who set me back on my feet.

Well, I've never been accused of being especially graceful, and I remembered that incident when I read in the Psalms that God helps us in our Christian walk by making us sure-footed when we try to follow in His footsteps.

It is God who arms me with strength,
And makes my way perfect.
He makes my feet like the feet of deer,
And sets me on my high places.
Psalm 18:32-33

I followed this little deer all the way to the end of the sidewalk yesterday
 before she disappeared into the bushes.

11 comments :

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, saddle oxfords, love them! I never had a pair, but they always reminded me of school days. I can see why you tried to follow that precious deer. I think there is something very special about the deer. :)

Have a blessed Sunday, Karen.

~Sheri

Connie said...

I remember when those saddle shoes were popular in my school. I never had a pair, but I remember wishing I had them.

NanaDiana said...

What a story about the shoes. I tipped over backward in a desk one time...with full skirt and can-cans (remember those). It went right over my head. I was terribly embarrassed. xo Diana

Mildred said...

I think I had red and black saddle oxfords! Your pic of the deer and the fall header photos are so pretty. This is truly a beautiful time of year to be out and about. Thank you for sharing the verse. Love you.

Susie said...

Karen, I Loved those shoes too , so I can could only imagine ...but so nice that two fellows helped you. I hope to see as sure footed as God wants me to be. Loved your deer photo. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Nonnie said...

Saddle oxfords? I wore them all through grade school and didn't like them. I wanted penny loafers. However, in high school, we wore a cuter version of saddle oxfords, which I loved. We called them "rock 'n rollers"! Now, about the fall. I will always remember the time we stood for closing prayer at church and I had kicked the seat up, but it was a very long prayer and I decided to sit back down. Oops! My heels caused me to slip and slid under the seat in front of me while all the teenagers behind me snickered and my mom was trying to raise me up! I just wanted to stay under the seat. I love that psalm.

L. D. said...

This is a great writing. I think following the deer was wonderful to have happen for you. God's creature sharing a walk.

Carla from The River said...

Fun shoes :-)
I enjoyed your story as well.
Have a great week,
Carla

Katie Mansfield said...

Love this. Cute story and wonderful truth.
I'd love it if you would share this at our new link party.
Monday Social
https://katietreasures.blogspot.com/2016/10/monday-social-link-party-8.html

Ida said...

What a good lesson from the Oxford shoes. - I too had to have a pair but I chose an unusal color (peach & white) that the kids ended up making fun of me for having so I rarely wore mine.
What a sweet deer sighting.

Karen said...

I would love to be as graceful as a deer...sigh...and I always loved my saddle oxfords...I remember getting a tan and brown pair that matched so many of my clothes my mom made for me...oh, for simpler times!

Blog Archive