Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Questions

When I was grieving the death of my child  and the end of my marriage over 20 years ago, some people told me that Christians are not supposed to grieve, but I know that I grieved, and questioned God.

At Golgotha, even Jesus Christ called out to His Father with a question "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me" (Mark 15:34b).

I don't think God gets upset by our honest questions. Even though I may not receive an answer this side of eternity for some of my questions, as long as I am pouring out my heart to God, that means I still believe in Him and I know He hears me!

He will be patient with us on our journey of faith. He is the lily of our darkest valley, our safe haven in the storm, and the sunshine after the rain. He is all we need.

Hear my cry, O God;
Attend unto my prayer.
From the ends of the earth
will I cry unto Thee.
When my heart is overwhelmed
Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.
Psalm 61

8 comments :

Carla from The River said...

Hello Karen,
I needed this today. Thank You!
Sending a hug as well, a death of a child is not easy. The loss is with you always. Thank goodness for our Lord.
Love, Carla

Stephanie said...

My dear Karen, I cannot imagine the pain and heartache you have faced. I agree that I don't think the Lord gets upset with honest questions. He KNOWS your pain, dear one. After all, Jesus came to earth in the form of man and He felt what we felt {but without sin}. He knew how it felt to lose a loved one....after all, John 11:35 says, "Jesus wept," when He heard Lazarus died even though He knew He was going to raise Him from the dead.

This was a very touching post, dear one. Thinking of you! Hugs!

Karen said...

I agree with you that God doesn't get upset by our honest questions...He alone knows our innermost thoughts and the deepest feelings in our hearts...and especially...He knows the best way to comfort us in our grief...so thankful for the Rock of Ages!

Theresa said...

Yes we grieve! Thankfully we have God to lean on during times when we have trouble smiling! Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Red Rose Alley said...

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your child, Karen.

You have great faith, and Yes, God hears you. :)

~Sheri

Melanie said...

A beautiful post, Karen. I remember pouring out my heart to God when my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I was honest with Him and I questioned. God's comfort was so real then. It hurts to lose a loved one and I'm so glad that God understands our pain and grief.

Mildred said...

Your post brings to mind the lyrics to "What A Friend We Have In Jesus."
Love you.

Connie said...

I believe we all grieve. We are fortunate to have Jesus to comfort us, though. Thinking of you, Karen, and sending you a hug.