Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Scarecrow

I put the scarecrow on my front door this morning.
In my childhood, many people in our area had big gardens. It always thrilled me to spot a scarecrow flapping his arms in the breeze.

This morning, I heard crows cawing and it was cool as I headed out for my walk. There was a touch of red on the burning bush.
This reminded me of a song that Mother sang to me - 
one that she had learned when she was a child.

The scarecrow stands up all day long
Nodding and waving to the old wind's song,
His coat tail flapping and his hat pulled low
As he stands and waits to scare that crow.


11 comments :

Connie said...

That's a cute scarecrow. I remember my grandma used to have a scarecrow in her garden. It was one she made herself.

Summer said...

Your scarecrow is so cute ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Mildred said...

I had forgotten about mother singing that song! I love your scarecrow.
When John and I first married, he borrowed some of mother's clothes and made a scarecrow for our front porch! lol

L. D. said...

I have never heard of that song before. It is a nice one. I am not so excited about fall coming but I usually like it once we are in it.

Nonnie said...

That is a cute scarecrow. I have never heard that song. However, it does remind me of the scarecrow my boss used to put on her front porch. I will have to post a pic.

Melanie said...

About the only scarecrow I see is a decoration around here. I have a cute one that sits. I'm ready to get him out but I'll wait for a bit yet. Yours is adorable!

Carla from The River said...

I love the song. Thank you for sharing, I am going to sing that to my boys. :-)

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have not heard this song. But I love scarecrows. I would love one on our door!

Theresa said...

Cute scarecrow:) I am beginning to see a little color on our trees and bushes! Enjoy your day dear Karen, HUGS!

Red Rose Alley said...

What a delightful song, Karen. I always know that Fall is here when I see a scarecrow. Love them.

~Sheri

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the scarecrow is cute. I can hear the crows in my neighborhood too, they can be loud. Cute song! Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!