Saturday, May 7, 2016

Honoring Mother


Mother and I were sitting together in her sunny den one morning listening to a CD of hymns. Mother, who had advanced dementia, perked up when she heard, "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer."

She sang along in her beautiful soprano voice. She was in the choir when she young, and knew so many hymns, even though for forty years, her vision had been too poor to read.

As I get older, I think of her amazing courage and determination in spite of many challenges.

Can we find a friend so faithful
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Happy Mother's Day

6 comments :

Connie said...

That's a beautiful memory of your mother, Karen. I hope you have a nice Mother's Day.

Theresa said...

Love that song! Sweet memory of that day! Have a blessed Mother's Day dear Karen, HUGS!

Carla from The River said...

Beautiful. I agree, I look at those who press on when they have so much hurt or other troubles.
Have a lovely new week,
Carla

Debbie Harris said...

What a lovely memory of your dear mother, Karen.
The lyrics to the hymn have great meaning and a wonderful promise we can claim.
Blessings~~

shortybear said...

precious memory

Red Rose Alley said...

What a nice story about your mom, Karen. It's wonderful that she sang in the choir when she was young. I always admire those with a good voice to sing, as it's such a talent and a gift, indeed. I hope you had a very nice Mother's Day.

~Sheri

Blog Archive