Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Spring Comes Next

I would stand on the front stoop and wave to the neighborhood kids getting on the bus for school and there I would be with no one to play with. There was no kindergarten in 1955. So I would go across the street to visit "Miss Nora", my friend up in her 80's.

I remember sitting on a little stool by her rocking chair as she crocheted, and listening to the winter wind whistling around the door of her house that was built before the Civil War.

I had just learned the months of the year and the four seasons, and I wisely informed her that she should not worry about the cold weather that caused her knees to ache, because spring would come right after winter.

Miss Nora smiled and explained that she had lived through 80+ years of seasons and that God had kept His promise of spring, summer, autumn, and winter each and every year. She showed me in her well worn Bible: "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease." (Genesis 8:22) I remember being amazed at that.

Thank you, God, that you are the same, yesterday, today, and forever.

6 comments :

Patsy said...

Happy you got a laptop now, that my be our next thing.
I do love my Ipad.

Mildred said...

An encouraging verse and sweet memories of Miss Nora. I always think of her when I see/smell peppermint sticks!

Red Rose Alley said...

We should all have a friend like Miss Nora. :) I really enjoyed this story, Karen. And the crocheted book mark is lovely and special.

~Sheri

Connie said...

Beautiful post! As cold as it has been here today, I'm looking forward to when spring arrives.

Joy said...

Hi Karen!
thank you for dropping by in my blogsite. I have been away in this site for since last summer and just lost interest in it, but good to know that you are still around☺

L. D. said...

This is a wonderful story to share. Miss Nora was a wonderful woman.

Blog Archive