Monday, January 25, 2016

No More Briars


When I was very young, we had a vacant lot next to our house. Weeds had taken over, and as I chase a ball through them, cockle burrs would stick to my pants and beggar lice to my socks. I hated picking those things off. There was also a row of beautiful crepe myrtles near the street.

One day Daddy hired a man to come and clear the lot. The problem was that he dug up the crepe myrtles, too, because the city was going to put in a sidewalk.

I cried. I loved the crepe myrtles, especially the deep pink ones.

Today I noticed this verse: "...Where briars grew, the myrtle trees will sprout up. This miracle will make the Lord's name very great and be an everlasting sign of God's power and love." Isaiah 55:13

I believe Jesus cares about the things that we care about and also that He is coming again to make all things beautiful in His time. He is preparing an eternal place for us with no briars and, I like to think, lots of pink crepe myrtles.

6 comments :

Theresa said...

I love crepe myrtles too:). I believe Heaven will be full of them, roses and gardenias:). Have a blessed day dear Karen. Hugs

Denise said...

nice post

Lydia S. said...

Interesting verse and idea! I had never noticed that passage before! Thanks for the encouragement!
I love crepe myrtles as well! Especially deep red ones. :)

Patsy said...

I know how you feel, I just could never throw out a plant
I would plant it in a different place. Then if it died I didn't feel so bad.

Red Rose Alley said...

I can just see the pink crepe myrtles along the street. I never appreciated these flowers until I saw them growing at the old college I attended. I believe Jesus cares about the things we care about too.....because He cares about us.

~Sheri

Connie said...

Sweet post, Karen. I have always imagined heaven as a place full of flowers of every sort.