Monday, November 9, 2015

Getting Offended

One morning, I was having a wonderful time in God's Word, when I was interrupted by someone who said something very cruel and untrue about one of my family members. In an instant, I went from cloud nine to the pit! I felt like my whole day would be ruined.

I was still furious when my grandchild arrived for a visit. She noticed my open Bible beside my chair and began intently turning each page. "What are you looking for?" I asked.

"I want to see Jesus!" she told me.

"My Bible doesn't have pictures," I explained. She kept turning and found a slip of paper that I had tucked between the pages a while back. She handed it to me. In my own handwriting, it said, "Don't become offended!"

Later I thought about the fact that all of us have done wrong. All have been guilty before God. All of us have a choice to stay bitter or accept the peace Jesus has provided.

He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole. Isaiah 53:5 Amplified

11 comments :

Mildred said...

A timely message today. Hope you are feeling better.

Daisy said...

So amazing the way things work out. It's true we all have the choice to accept His peace.

Annesphamily said...

Hi Karen, I loved reading this! You stated it perfectly. I feel the same way. I don't know why these things happen but I am always glad that Jesus is in our lives and He will always hold us up in troubling times. Somedays I get so frustrated, you feel like such a decent person and someone comes along and messes it up for us! It is very good to see you here and I am glad I stopped by. Have a beautiful week and thank you for this share. I really needed it and the timing was perfect. Blessings, Anne

Arlene said...

You are right Karen, like you I sometimes find it hard NOT to be offended but it is better to turn the other cheek!

Laura said...

Greetings from Maine, dear Karen! This post spoke right to my heart...how often have I been in the Word...and then suddenly "out of it" with my own sin nature. How easily our feelings get hurt...over minor things (and sometimes major things) and yet our Saviour never got angry at his enemies...He simply loved them, forgave them, prayed for them...what an amazing example for us. Thank you for reminding me of this today, dear one...
Sweet blessings,
Laura

Theresa said...

The little ones see more than us sometimes:) A great lesson for all of us! Have a blessed day dear friend, BIG HUGS!

dellartist said...

A wonderful lesson we should all remember. And what a blessing that the Lord chose to remind you in your own handwriting! Thanks for sharing this.

NanaDiana said...

From the hands of a child---our own words handed back to us! That has happened to me before, too. It is so hard to not be offended when someone we love is bad mouthed or tarnished by something someone says. I know it is not our battle but it often feels that it is.
A good post, Karen! xo Diana

Nonnie said...

And He forgave us all our offenses.

Delvalina said...

This makes me almost cry! How sweet our Jesus is. He helped us through the little things during in a battle.

Glad that you won at the time.
Love,
Delvalina

Red Rose Alley said...

What a wonderful grandchild, and a message just when you needed it. :)

~Sheri