Sunday, November 29, 2015

Amazing Testimony

Testimony from a persecuted pastor in India:

In May 2014, the anti-Christian government came to power in India’s general elections. Persecution had always been bad in our region. Now, the persecutors were suddenly in highest seats of government. Things worsened quickly.

Last month, many of our pastors were beaten while preaching inside their churches, as Hindu mobs stormed in and attacked the congregations. The police came. Instead of doing justice, they arrested 
one of the pastors for “insulting Hinduism.” The charge was false. He hadn’t said a word about Hinduism or any Hindu deities: he spoke only of Jesus. 

The arrest was in one of the most mafia-infested, criminalized cities of India. Only the most dangerous offenders end up in jail. The police threw our pastor in jail, in a crowded cell with dozens of murderers. “Whom did you kill?” several asked him when he’d slumped into a corner. 

“Nobody,” was his shocked reply. 

“Then what did you do?” 

“I was preaching,” he said. This confused them. They asked if he’d been preaching politics. He said no, he’d been preaching Jesus. They said they knew nothing of Jesus and asked if he would tell them.

He did and God’s glory swept in. For the next two weeks they had what our pastor called “revival meetings” every day. All the inmates and several of the guards gave their lives to Christ. This terrified the authorities. To prevent further problems they kicked him out of jail! 

When our pastor was arrested, I wept and prayed every day. I’m a mom, and I can’t help but worrying for our people like I would for my own kids. I saw him a few days after his release and asked if he was ok. I’ll never forget his answer. His face radiant, he said, “I’m ready to go back to jail any time!

[This reminded me of Joseph's response when he forgave his brothers:]  But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. Genesis 50:20

6 comments :

Lady Jane said...

An amazing story Karen. So hard to believe that we are going through religious persecution again. I guess it never really left us but now it is so much worse. This Pastor is a very brave man. I will pray for him.

NanaDiana said...

Karen, That is one of the most amazing stories I have ever heard! Wow! It is amazing what God can do and where He can work under any circumstances. Beautiful testimony. xo Diana

Connie said...

God works in amazing ways. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Denise said...

very amazing

Lydia S. said...

Wow! This was a powerful story! God does truly work everything out for the good of those who love Him...and perhaps those who need to learn to love Him as well in this case! Thanks so much for sharing!

KathyB. said...

Wow ! God is so good to us , even in the midst of trying times. We've been blessed in this country regarding persecution, but I think we ( me )take the liberty we still have to openly worship Him for granted. This is a good reminder He is in control, praise him.