Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Pilot Light

My grandparents would turn off the pilot light of their gas heater in the summer. So every Fall, as soon as there was a chill in the night air, they would call Daddy to come and light the pilot. At first I could only see a tiny blue flicker, but when they would turn up the heat, I would hear a whoosh and the heat would come up through the floor grate until it was red hot. Before long, the den and kitchen would be toasty warm. When we came in from playing, we would stand over that floor furnace and hold our hands out to warm them.

The pilot light reminds me of God's Holy Spirit that comes to live in our hearts. I know that I was forgiven of my sins and saved when I accepted Christ as a child. All of us who have been forgiven and put our trust in Christ have a flame burning within us, but I want to be available for the Holy Spirit to fan the flame.....enough so that others will want to draw near and feel the warmth of God's love.


John the Baptizer said, "I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."
Matthew 3:11 ESV

4 comments :

Red Rose Alley said...

A beautiful post, Karen.

~Sheri

dellartist said...

...and thank God for the Holy Fire!

Theresa said...

Childhood memories warm my heart! Thankful for God's light in my life! Have a blessed night dear Karen. Hugs

Denise said...

such a nice post, love your new blog look