Monday, August 31, 2015

Rose of Sharon Tree


One of the treasures I saw on my walk this morning.
Along the walking trail, the many different kinds of trees are labeled. I remember grandmother having this tree in her yard. She loved for me to drive her out into the country to visit some elderly ladies who would give her plants to add to her garden.

I had never heard this hymn until today. Wonderful lyrics!

Jesus Rose of Sharon
Ida Guirey
Jesus, Rose of Sharon, bloom within my heart;
Beauties of Thy truth and holiness impart,
That wherever I go my life may shed abroad
Fragrance of the knowledge of the love of God.
Jesus, Rose of Sharon, bloom forevermore;
Be Thy glory seen on earth from shore to shore,
Till the nations own Thy sovereignty complete,
Lay their honors down and worship at Thy feet.



14 comments :

CatTales said...

Very pretty~ back then, it was rare to be able to buy plants from a catalog or garden store. I think grandma was one of the first in town to mail order roses from Jackson and Perkins. The best plants are those shared with a friend!

Theresa said...

What a beautiful bloom AND song:) Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Karen said...

Yes, Grandma was so thrilled to get a flower she didn't already have!

Red Rose Alley said...

I just saw this Rose of Sharon on another friend's blog. It is sweet and pretty.

Have a very nice week, Karen.

~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, forgot to say that your new blog design is bright and cheerful. :)

Nonnie said...

We always had Rose of Sharon in our yard. We tried to grow some here, but they didn't take off. They remind me of my Mom and the songs she would sing about Jesus. He's the Lily of the Valley, the Bright and Morning Star, he's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul. He's the beautiful Rose of Sharon. I bet you know that one. The one you shared today is beautiful. I'm going to save it.

I just tried to find the lyrics to the song my mom sang and it doesn't even mention the Rose of Sharon. Wonder if she made that up?

Arlene said...

I remember those trees as well Karen...sweet memories.

Doris said...

We had a Rose of Sharon bush on our farm when I was a wee little girl. It's one of those things that bring back such good memories.
I think we sang that hymn at our church when I was young. I'll have to look it up because I'm not certain as to the tune.
God bless your evening, Karen.

Doris said...

Karen, I just found that song on you tube....the one I listened to sounded just like my childhood Mennonite church sang it. No musical instruments, beautiful four part harmony....and a baby making noises! I loved it!! Felt like I could hear my Dad singing his heart out with his strong tenor. Oh my, what a treat for me this evening. Thanks again for posting this song!

Delvalina said...

Thank you for sharing the song :) I just played on youtube. and What a beautiful memory with grandma.
Blessing for you mrs. Karen.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the rose of sharong is lovely. Beautiful words and post. Enjoy your day!

Daisy said...

Beautiful flower and song. Hope you are having a good week!

Linda said...

Lovely photos, and such a beautiful post. :)

Susan said...

Beautiful and serene!

Blog Archive